If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

08 Trex - Traction Control plus

Fuzzball

08 Trex - Traction Control plus

Post by Fuzzball » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:32 pm

Hey y'all,

So I'm having real handling issues that I suspect are related to a TC sensor. Here's what's been done recently:

1. Wheel bearings on front replaced. One of them (at least) was put in wrong and ABS is a major problem on a start and slam stop when the idiot in front of you decides they didn't really want to go.
2. Lower Control Arms on both sides were replaced because the ball joints were shot. Tires were bare on the inside.
3. Alignment was completed.

Before the alignment I was feeling some jerking in the steering on acceleration. Wasn't bad, but irritating. Then I got the alignment and it was really a problem. Watched the RPM's and notices that it was when I went from 4th to 5th that the vehicle practically moved to the left 6 inches. Once I was at a steady speed on a flat road, the truck runs just fine. If there's a climb involved, when it heads up, it pulls to the right, then when the trans kicks back down into 5th, it jerks to the left.
After a few days of only using the vehicle for necessary trips, this morning the TC light came on full time.

So, my question is, do I just pull the wheel bearings off, switch them around to align properly and have all of my issues corrected, or have I damaged something that I'm not aware of yet?

I use Torque Lite and just checked the ECU for codes and have none. I cannot check the ABS for codes.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Kevin
2008 Taurus X SEL - Merlot and Silver
1986 Buick Grand National
1966 Glassic Model "A" Phaeton

Fuzzball

Re: 08 Trex - Traction Control plus

Post by Fuzzball » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:21 pm

I cannot believe that none of the parts stores have a reader that will read ABS/traction control codes. Sure would have made this job an easier job.

Fuzzball

Post by Fuzzball » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:09 pm

I recorded what I experience driving.
I had just taken off after a red light and was getting up to speed. The Traction Control light came on during a turn and note that the wheel is canted to the left.

at appx. 24 seconds, the RPM's drop and the wheel shifts. when this happens, the vehicle jerks to the left.

I hope someone can suggest action to fix it. Enjoy the video!

https://vimeo.com/user103442151/review/363372634/8e014e4893#

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:46 am

Something is loose. You need to go back and look at every thing. Look at the rubber bushing on the A-arms and the mounting of the steering rack.
The video pointer you have doesn't seem to work.
Dwight

Fuzzball

Post by Fuzzball » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:57 pm

dwighte,

You are absolutely correct. Found the from connection for the passenger side lower control arm loose, it actually took for more cranks before it got tight, and on the drivers side, the bolt of the ball joint was almost totally off. We cranked all of it down and the truck is back to like new! Took it back to the mechanic to verify the alignment and they had to do some work to get it aligned again.

Thanks for the answer!!

I'm going to upload another video of the driver side.

https://vimeo.com/user103442151/review/ ... e273b30ddb

Kevin