If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Getting the freestyle back

knowitall

Getting the freestyle back

Post by knowitall » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:16 am

I've decided to switch cars with my daughter in college. She has been driving my 2005 Freestyle for the past 5 years but will graduate with a masters in Flavor Chemistry.
Since the Freestyle is leaking a qt of oil every 2,000 miles I decided to give her our 2005 Lexus LS 430 and make my last 2 teenage daughters drive the POS Freestyle.
Depending how bad the oil leak gets and if I can't fix it myself I will probably sell it on Craigslist or push it off of a cliff and claim it stolen. :lol:
I bought the freestyle with 15,000 miles on it in 2007 and now in 2019 it has 170,000. Been a good car but looks rough.
I'm hoping the last alternator I put in lasts until I get rid of it because it's a pain the A** to change it.
So, AfricaFS, I will be haunting a bit longer. :lol:

dwighte

Re: Getting the freestyle back

Post by dwighte » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:25 am

You realize that the most common issue with alternators is just the brushes. The rest is surprisingly robust, with the exception of those that insist they know how to jump start a car. Although, sometimes hare to find, they are about $15.
Generators were really rugged and could take a lot of abuse. Alternators are not the same. If you use your car to jump start another car, never, NEVER, allow them to hit the started motor while your engine is running. Even if the alternator seems to be working, the diodes will have been stressed. This often causes the hermetic seals to crack. About a month later, you'll find that it just isn't charging the battery. Most don't realize that the damage was done earlier when you help a friend.
I will not jump start a car unless I hold the other persons keys. Run your car with the jumper cables for about 10 minutes. Shut your engine off and then give them their keys to start their engine. The little bit of extra power your alternator is putting out is unlikely to make much difference and it will likely damage your alternator, then you'll soon need a jump.
Dwight

knowitall

Re: Getting the freestyle back

Post by knowitall » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:36 pm

dwighte wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:25 am
You realize that the most common issue with alternators is just the brushes. The rest is surprisingly robust, with the exception of those that insist they know how to jump start a car. Although, sometimes hare to find, they are about $15.
blah blah blah blah
Dwight
Doesn't matter what the common issues are with the Freestyle alternators. You still have to get the alternator out to repair it.
A 4 hour job to replace an alternator is just too much for me.
However I did score a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly on the alternator so my last alternator replacement was FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!