If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Shaking at stops

LeeMar163120

Shaking at stops

Post by LeeMar163120 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:38 am

Yesterday we had a misfire fixed, and had all the regular routine maintenance done. Hoses, seals, injectors, spark plugs, cylinders done, all of that. Today after test driving it, and being very happy with the power we got back from it. At one of the stops we were at it felt as though it was jerking forward, we weren't moving and we didn't feel it in the steering wheel. Way back when we once owned a Pontiac sunfire with a bad 02 sensor and it felt like that but our car didn't stall. It wasn't a constant vibration, it just felt like random little pulls forward like someone was pulling and jerking us forward. The car doesn't always do this, I thought it was part of the misfire we had gotten fixed. It just did it at a random stop and it hasnt done it at any other. Would anyone have an idea of what this is? I thought maybe something with the vacuum hose, timing belt, or 02 sensor. One thing the mechanic did mention is that the brakes were needing to be done soon, I also thought maybe something within the brakes but we weren't moving at all.

jas88

Re: Shaking at stops

Post by jas88 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:27 am

You need to clean your throttle body.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

LeeMar163120

Post by LeeMar163120 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:01 pm

jas88 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:27 am
How often does the throttle body needs cleaned and or replaced? We just bought this freestyle at a used dealership and so far we had to fix an engine misfire, and the water pump. All the routine maintenance needed to be done completely, I'm reading and seeing a lot of problems with the cars throttle body. Is this a problem or defect with the car? I'm just trying to figure it out and get as knowledgeable as possible about the car. We absolutely love it, it's just been a little pricey, but I blame the dealership for not doing routine maintenance on it.

Deckard_Cain

Post by Deckard_Cain » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:13 am

LeeMar163120 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:01 pm
jas88 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:27 am
How often does the throttle body needs cleaned and or replaced? We just bought this freestyle at a used dealership and so far we had to fix an engine misfire, and the water pump. All the routine maintenance needed to be done completely, I'm reading and seeing a lot of problems with the cars throttle body. Is this a problem or defect with the car? I'm just trying to figure it out and get as knowledgeable as possible about the car. We absolutely love it, it's just been a little pricey, but I blame the dealership for not doing routine maintenance on it.
There were extended warranties and TSB's released for the throttle body on these engines... various models it was installed in. As far as how often? When needed is the simple answer. Usually I've seen owners need to do it every 50k and some every 100k. It depends. Some have had to replace the throttle body- unsure if there is a superceded, improved part number from Ford.

But it's kind of a known thing about them- not many issues at all with the 3.0 'tec engine, but the throttle body problem was one of them.