If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Question about upper motor mount

Galadriel

Question about upper motor mount

Post by Galadriel » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:28 am

The upper motor mount on my Freestyle is shot. Almost no rubber, although the metal looks good. When I accelerate or brake, this causes a “clunking” sound.
Obviously, I need to repair it before it does tear up all the metal and then the engine.
AutoZone sells just the rubber insert, so my question is has anyone changed just the rubber insert out of the upper motor mount? Are there any YouTube videos about it?
Thanks
Bob M

4_whl_hvn

Re: Question about upper motor mount

Post by 4_whl_hvn » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:33 pm

I have changed out the whole mount before, but not the rubber piece only. I have the mount out of the car now while I am rebuilding the trans and the rubber is bad (different car). I will try to get it (the rubber only) out later today or tomorrow and let you know if I am successful.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:54 am

2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Tenn_Freestyling

Post by Tenn_Freestyling » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:23 am

I second jas88. I did this repair about 4 years ago and it is still doing just fine.

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:17 am

Any time you replace parts of the upper mount check the engine mounts. If they are failing your new part will also soon fail. Finding the rubber failing may mean bad front, rear or both mounts, giving too much travel to the rocking of the engine. This will continue to damage things. There is normally little reason for the top rubber to fail.
Dwight

Dany 06 freestyle

Post by Dany 06 freestyle » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:52 pm

I did replace the inset of the upper mount.. you have to remove the metal ring stuck there... and it’s stuck hard. Replacing it with home tool took me time and I’m not so happy with the result. (Kind a 1/4 inch off and cannot pressure it more into the mount)

MrBugatti

Post by MrBugatti » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm gonna be honest with you right now just change the whole mount it's $60 on amazon the money you will save isn't worth the frustration. My mom's 06 five hundred now has 221K miles so this mount has been done twice. https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Anti-Rol ... 139&sr=8-5