If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Transmission Filter Change or Just Drain ?

Scotty17

Transmission Filter Change or Just Drain ?

Post by Scotty17 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:21 pm

05 AWD SEL 131,000

I am getting ready to bring my freestyle in for a Transmission service and getting mix views
on what is needed for a service, my local shop is telling me that all is need is a drain and fill
of fluid.

I have always in the past with other cars I owned change the pan filter as well, for some
reason I am hearing for the freestyle this is not recommended, WHY

Any thoughts on this

Thanks Scott
Last edited by Scotty17 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ds32928

Re: Transmission Fliter Change or Just Drain ?

Post by ds32928 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:01 pm

There have been a few reports on this forum of the trans oil pan screw(s) stripping out when re-tightening after pan filter change. Others say the high pressure filter does the most filtering right after the fluid pump, and the pan filter filters after that. Opinions are mixed, on even replacing the high pressure filter, just drain fluid, let it cool to room temp, and refill with same amount of proper fluid. Whoever does it, make sure they are clear on what Ford CVT fluid to use, any other fluid is death.

If it was me, and I didnt know if, or when the last trans service was, I would do the high pressure fiter, not an aftermarket one, and drain and refill. Flushing the tranny isnt necessary, and is usually death from non CVT fluid still in the machine lines.

Factory HP filter had metal end caps, new Ford one has black plastic ends, and is fine to use.

jas88

Re: Transmission Filter Change or Just Drain ?

Post by jas88 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:01 pm

Replace the high pressure filter, drain and refill every 50K miles is my recommendation (Ford service interval is 60K). Do not bother with the pan filter.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

MrBugatti

Post by MrBugatti » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:34 pm

I did the cvt fluid in my mom's 06 Five Hundred 20k miles ago (199,000 miles) honestly doing the pan filter was 2 days in hell first of all I used a aftermarket filter which caused some p0701 issues especially when it was cold, getting the pan gasket was a nightmare they had 1 in stock at a dealer 30 min away. My recommendation just do a drain and fill or if your inclined to change the high pressure filter.

Scotty17

Post by Scotty17 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:39 am

05 AWD SEL

I had the Transmission fluid drained only ( Motocraft CVT) fluid my mechanic advised if it isn't broke leave it alone didn't change any of the filters, didn't want to open a can of worms. My dumb luck I would do the filters and have tranny problems.

My Transmission hasn't had any problems going strong at 132,000