If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Where is the best place to buy a CVT transmission?

AntStarcher

Where is the best place to buy a CVT transmission?

Post by AntStarcher » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:31 pm

I have an 07 ford freestyle cvt awd transmission that went out and will not go into gear. Where is the best place to buy a used or even new transmission from if it's not to much. I have a little bit of money put up but not much. So I will be buying the transmission and most likely putting the new one in my self. Just not sure where to get a good quality used one from that won't cost me more then I paid for the car. Thanks for anyone's help.

ds32928

Re: Help. Where is the best place to buy a transmission.

Post by ds32928 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:13 am

Junk yard, youpullit salvage yard, some damaged Freestyles will drive at the lot, to check for the helicopter noise of soon to be transmission death.

"will not go into gear", could be a few things, I imagine in your case, its short hand for wont move when its in drive and you step on the gas? Linkage cable off at the selector or transmission?

Scotty17

Re: Where is the best place to buy a CVT transmission?

Post by Scotty17 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:56 am

Why would you risk replacing your transmission from a junk yard, I would find good transmission shop and have yours rebuilt assuming you want to keep the car.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:06 am

+1 mr ds32928.

while it may not be the best place, we got our replacement USED trans from a totaled Freestyle that had been in an accident, got it for dirt cheap on copart. Relation went and test drove the Junk there, was in perfect health.

The person who bought our Freestyle sometime later still has it (over a year after i put in the replacement CVT), he told me recently that the car is still in great condition, only had oil changes and work done on AC once......he's had it for at least 3 years now i think, so the replacement trans must be in the car for 4+ years now.....he still has it up till this moment.

i remember it was just over 100,000 miles on the Junked car's ODO when we bought the junk from whence it came from.

pictures of junked car is still here on this page: viewtopic.php?t=5736&start=60

Not saying you need to use Copart again, but you WILL find good CVTs in the other Junk Yards for cheap, just make sure to test the junk cars well while the CVTs are still in them before buying the trans.

The honest truth is that the Junk Yards can be gold mines if you take the time to test stuff.

ADD: If you decide to go that route, make sure to get the Junked cars well up to operating temps, try to also get under the car on the driver's side front and listen out for noise from inside the CVT Oil Pan......No Whines, No- chop-chop-chop-chop, No rock grinding noise.......check CVT oil condition too for burn smell or black as hades color.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Look at Car-Part.com There are a lot of Freestyles in salvage yards. Find one that was wrecked since if there is no body damage it could be there because the CVT failed.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:22 am

AntStarcher wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:31 pm
I have an 07 ford freestyle cvt awd transmission that went out and will not go into gear. Where is the best place to buy a used or even new transmission from if it's not to much. I have a little bit of money put up but not much. So I will be buying the transmission and most likely putting the new one in my self. Just not sure where to get a good quality used one from that won't cost me more then I paid for the car. Thanks for anyone's help.
Before you throw good money after bad, have you properly diagnosed the reason why your Freestyle won't go into gear?

And if there is no way to guarantee the used transmission you bought is a good one the risk is too high on a vehicle that is valued just above a Yugo. :lol:

Personally if my 2005 FS transmission goes I will either part it out or push it into the lake and claim the insurance. :lol: