Steering wheel shakes while braking

ds32928

Steering wheel shakes while braking

Post by ds32928 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:12 pm

2007 AWD 147,000
Its more noticeable when I brake from 45mph or faster, I feel a vibration, and can feel/see the steering wheel shake. I never noticed the wheel shaking when braking until after I had to make a panic stop from 75mph to 0.

EDIT: Narrowed it down to rotors being warped from that panic stop. Was speeding to beat a traffic light on the bi-pass, but had to stop when light changed. Life in the big city.

Deciding between the Centric and Raybestos pro rotors. Leaning towards the Raybestos 680282R from Amazon for $48 each free shipping.

Scotty17

Re: Steering wheel shakes while braking

Post by Scotty17 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:58 am

I had the same issue a while back with warped rotors decided on replacing them with coated Motorcraft rotors, they cost a hell of a lot more but in the long run will out last the cheap
crap from China.

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:25 am

I checked the rotors this morning to see if I could any indication that the brake pads left a dark spot on the rotor(s), from me sitting with my foot on the brake pedal waiting for the green light again, making the pads sit on extremely hot (red?) rotors. I read that pad material can get soft to put a layer of material on the rotor right where they are cooking there. Extra material on rotor in just that one spot might cause pad to stick more on that spot on the rotor, where that happened, when braking.

Anyway, rotor had no dark spots, but both still had a little rust on them, drove the car, tried braking several times from 50mph down 25mph, and no steering wheel shake. Maybe was just rust on the rotors. Dunno, Ill keep an eye on if it happens again. Cant be warped rotors then, Im thinking. Some time back, I went with the non coated MC rotors on the back, the rotor with the high hat in the center. What a red rusty center hat on those POS's.

Warbird5

Post by Warbird5 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:23 am

Morning,

If you experience steering wheel shake when decelerating from freeway/highway speeds more than likely you have a single warped rotor, or both rotors are warped.

Depending on the age of the vehicle you may still be running the original rotors which are probably worn down to at or below the minimum recommended thickness. Rotors at or below the minimum recommended thickness will warp rater easily during normal operation as they just don't have the material to to dissipate heat efficiently. You'll know if you attempt to have the rotors turned.

Just because the shake is not present all the times does not mean it is gone. Sometimes the vehicle will brake without steering wheel shake, and sometimes it will shake.

I'd recommend you replace both front brake rotors and the pads if they are worn, and yes go for the coated Motorcraft rotors. The are worth the money.

Remember.....Work Safe.