If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Lost a keyless entry button

lparsons

Lost a keyless entry button

Post by lparsons » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:46 am

A while ago I noticed that one of the keyless entry buttons on my 05 Limited is missing. I have absolutely no idea when or where it fell off, or how. Are these easy to replace? Would a new one just pop in or do I need to perform surgery on the door to replace it? Does anyone know a useful part number or description for them? I checked rock auto and couldn't seem to find it.

To be verbose, I'm talking about the buttons on the outside of the driver's door. In my case I'm missing the "1/2" button. Or could I just use my pocketknife to pop one off at a junkyard and then pop it back in?

Not that this is of great importance, as I have absolutely no idea what my code is and I can't find the stickers (and I've watched this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zYK5LO4o0 - several thousand times and still can't find it).
05 Freestyle Limited AWD - dark red (wife's car)
02 VW Passat W8 - all black (my car)

mmsstar

Re: Lost a keyless entry button

Post by mmsstar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:25 am

You can’t just replace one number. It’s the whole pad.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

lparsons

Post by lparsons » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:22 pm

That was what I was afraid I would hear. Does anyone have a part number for it? I've tried searching for it but I haven't had any luck so far. Searching ebay for "ford freestyle keyless entry pad" (with or without quotes) just gets me keyfobs. I tried it on google and got keyless entry pads for other Ford vehicles (oddly enough the one most similar that I got seems to be for a Ford Expedition) but no exact matches.

I suspect that the effort to replace it will exceed the benefit of doing so, but it would be interesting to look into it just for amusement. I did notice that for some other pads that showed up for sale the code came with the pad itself, which - if this was the case for ours - would solve my problem of the lost code. If anyone can point me to how to replace this, that would be insightful as well. I haven't had any luck searching for that either.

On a related note, I don't know if anyone has looked at this video as another way that should reveal our factory keyless entry codes ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVa-0_fvlIo ) but I can tell you it did not work on my 05 limited. Basically people claim that using both keys in quick secession in the ignition (either both only to run without starting or the first to run without starting and the second to run after starting) should trigger the display to report the factory code; it doesn't seem to work with ours.
05 Freestyle Limited AWD - dark red (wife's car)
02 VW Passat W8 - all black (my car)

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:54 am

If you have a u-pull-it, pick-a-part, salvage yard, ask if they have a 2005-2007 Freestyle. If so, pay the $2 to $5 to get into the yard. Bring some tools like a razor knife blade, small blade screw driver, putty knife, etc. From what Ive seen, the whole pad or the face of it pops off, clips being on the top end and bottom end of pad. Try prying on the sides near top and bottom, to see if you can get the face or whole unit off. There would be a wire to disconnect if you get the whole pad out of the door. Experiment with that junker car, you might get a replacement that way. Dont worry about those they sell with a code, you might, or might not, be able to add the code that comes with the unit as an additional code to the factory code. Another way, go to a friendly auto body shop, and ask if they can come out to the vehicle, and ask if they have advice on how to get the keypad off the door, if they were to paint the whole door for you, and were prepping the door for paint. Then go to go to junk yard and try to get one off a Freestyle, using the method the auto body guy gave you. It's just a keypad, code is in the vehicle memory, as far as I know

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:54 am

Finding the code for the keypad:

viewtopic.php?t=2166#p41735
Attachments
500_SJB.jpg
500_SJB.jpg (136.11 KiB) Viewed 197 times
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth