Removal of front right CV axle? 2004 Freestyle

dvsfreestyle

Removal of front right CV axle? 2004 Freestyle

Post by dvsfreestyle » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:24 pm

2004 Freestyle SE, 3.9 engine. Cannot get the spline shaft out of the transmission. Only thing holding the shaft together is a boot. This shaft was a replacement less than a year ago. Something let loose which I thought might be a transmission failure, but now I think it might be the shaft. The outside end of the shaft is already out of the spindle. Anyone have this problem? Can't believe there is nothing regarding this on this site.

dmckmc

Re: Removal of front right CV axle? 2004 Freestyle

Post by dmckmc » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:47 am

Problem is common to all FWD axles. Without a dedicated tool such as a slide hammer, the axle can be terribly difficult to remove. I found some very good home made solutions on you tube. I made my own puller using a 10lb sledge hammer.

BTW, FreeSTYLE forum here, not FreeSTAR.

dvsfreestyle

Re: Removal of front right CV axle? 2004 Freestyle

Post by dvsfreestyle » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:37 am

Hey dmckmc, thanks for the reply. Actually, I do have a slide hammer that can be bolted to the spindle lugs. That isn't the problem. The axle is out of the spindle. I did that by removing everything from the strut. The only thing holding the axle together is the boot of the inner joint. Not sure if that is some sort of a "sliding joint" to take up movement in the axle, because if I slide the axle toward the engine, it reconnects with the inner part of the joint. In trying to pull the axle out, the only think holding the axle together is the rubber boot. I did not have this problem when I replaced the axle about a year ago. That leads me to think that inner joint has been compromised. Then again, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If the inner end was turning and the out end was not, that boot would have been torn to shreds.