my old 2005

dwight

my old 2005

Post by dwight » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:10 am

About 2.5 years ago I got a 2005 freestyle. It was in rough condition when I got it but ran reasonably well. It is an AWD.
It needed a new set of tires, the power steering pump made noises, break lights were stuck on and the AC didn't work.
It looked like someone had replaced the transmission at some time because some of the bolts were in the wrong place ( wrong length ).
I had to replace the AC condenser as well has the pump. The break lights needed the new switch and replacing the over heated break light assembly.
After about 6 months the power steering pump finally quit. I replaced that and also had to order a new pulley. The one the dealer got me had no holes in it to access the mount and was the wrong diameter. I bought one from Ebay for a lot less. ( recommend looking on line, not necessarily ebay as a lot of parts suppliers have NOS that they'd like to sell cheap ).
Over the period of time, it has broken the engine anti-roll bar. If this ever breaks on you car, it means you have bad engine mounts.
I had the intermittent interior lights an earlier fellow mentioned. It turned out to be the ignition switch ( you wouldn't think this was the issue but if you think about it, when you turn the engine off it lights the interior lights. )
I'm in Calif. so need the smog checks. A week before I needed to get it smogged, the check engine light comes on. It is a EGR high voltage on the sense.
I have my mechanic replace the EGR valve because It is in a hard to get at place an I'm lazy. Well that didn't fix it. It turned out to be failed wiring. I'll never know why the thought it was a good idea to mount the wires next to the CPV wires. Oil had soaked the wires and turned them into mush. I had to rewire that part but now it wouldn't pass the evap test. It seems the high voltage was caused by the 12 volt line crossing with the 5 volt line. This wiped out the vacuum sensor on the gas tank. (I now know how to replace this without pulling the gas tank if anyone wants to ask ). The 5V line was shared with the EGR.
I just replaced the right strut bearing that was clunking for some time. ( not a job for just any one, especially a 71 year old tinkerer. )
I guess, what does one expect with a 13 year old car, at 160K miles.
Dwight

Splicer

Re: my old 2005

Post by Splicer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:33 am

Geez! You've had your share of issues! Getting ready to retire my 2007, soon. Has 297,000+ on her at the moment. Tires, struts, brakes, battery, a starter, oil changes, blower motor, both rear wheel hubs, both CV axles...I think that's about it. Changed the trans fluid too.
2007 Freestyle Limited FWD 297,000+ miles 8)
2004 Escape XLT FWD 251,000+ :)
2006 Escape Hybrid AWD 121,000+ :mrgreen:

dwight

Re: my old 2005

Post by dwight » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:40 am

Even with a spell checker, I've got a lot of misspelling.
I still like the CVT on the highway. No wait for the auto to down shift.
Dwight