Running so rich you can.light exhaust fumes on fire

Greg&aimee

Running so rich you can.light exhaust fumes on fire

Post by Greg&aimee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:51 pm

I got my.fiance an 05 freestyle in December of last year. Bwfor.we moved to Tennessee in march it was in.the shop 3 times. It would idle really rough and didnt have any.power. each time they fixed it 2 or 3 weeks later boom. Same problem. The last time it was in the shop for 3 weeks. They replaced coil packs wires and spark plugs along with all 6 injectors and both o2 sensors. We got to Tennessee and again same.problems about 3 weeks after we moved but this time its running so rich( along with rough idle and no power) you can.light the exhaust fumes on fire with a lighter. I had ot hooked up to an obd scanner and it threw a code for misfires banks 1 and 2 rich and a code for invalid data from the pcm. Was told to replace the injectors so I did. Car ran good for 2 days but threw a code for running to lean. Now today its back to square one rough idle no power amd so rich you can light it on fire but no.pcm code. Can somebody please shed some light or point.me in the right direction because right now we have a 300 dollar a month driveway ornament that I went to set on fire and roll down a hill. Sorry for the long post and any help is greatlt appreciated

jas88

Re: Running so rich you can.light exhaust fumes on fire

Post by jas88 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:46 am

Has anyone replaced the fuel pressure sensor/regulator?
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Greg&aimee

Post by Greg&aimee » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:21 am

To my knowledge no. I asked about it while it was in the shop. They said that wouldn't make injectors stay open but at this point I'm open to all suggestions

xvert

Post by xvert » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:19 pm

Pay attention to the catalytic converters. They could overheat, melt and clog up as a result of misfiring. You can slightly detach the catalysts from the exhaust manifold (at least the front bank2) and see the result. Perhaps we should be grateful to Ford for taking care of our wallets, because PCM does not show codes even when the catalysts are clogged and heated to red. In my opinion, this was the reason for several fires on AWD Freestyles in which oil leakage from the transfer case(popular leakage from drivshaft seal) occurs directly to the red-hot exhaust pipe ... In short, the misfiring in the cylinders (injectors ..) could lead to clogging of catalysts, and now clogged catalytic converters lead to misfiring.
Then I would test and clean the EGR-valve. It can be jammed in the open position.
Also compare the readings of the engine sensors to the table (I took readings at idle when there were minor problems in the engine). Pay attention to Mass Air flow, spark advance, fuel rail pressure, intake manifold pressure, throttle position
Attachments
O2sensors.jpg
O2sensors.jpg (86.4 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Engine.jpg
Engine.jpg (93.03 KiB) Viewed 85 times