Rattling noise ~2krpm, could it be fuel pump?

lparsons

Rattling noise ~2krpm, could it be fuel pump?

Post by lparsons » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:39 am

Some time back our 05 Freestyle limited started making a rattling (or perhaps more like someone blowing a raspberry at high speed) noise. It is dependent on the speed of the engine, most noticeable when the engine is turning ~2-3krpm and we're on the gas pedal with moderate pressure. After ~3.5krpm it goes away, and if the engine is running that speed but not under load we don't hear it.
The noise comes from the rear of the car, it sounds like it is on the passenger side. I originally thought it was exhaust but I cannot find a hole in the exhaust anywhere, and the exhaust is mostly on the drivers side. What else might I want to look at? Could it be the fuel pump? This car should be on its original pump (~165k miles). Is that a replacement that is fairly straightforward or does the tank need to be dropped? Is there a test I can easily do to tell if that is the problem? What else should I look at?
thank you!
05 Freestyle Limited AWD - dark red (wife's car)
02 VW Passat W8 - all black (my car)

jas88

Re: Rattling noise ~2krpm, could it be fuel pump?

Post by jas88 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:44 am

Fuel pumps don't usually make any noise, they just quit. I would look to the exhaust - honeycomb broken loose inside the cat or perhaps loose heat shield.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

RVAFreestyle

Re: Rattling noise ~2krpm, could it be fuel pump?

Post by RVAFreestyle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:19 pm

Noises are hard to diagnosis over the interwebs.

If you have access to jack stands and a jack. Securely raise the car, check the exhaust hangers, lightly wrap on the catalyst and see if the material has broken loose, check the propeller AKA drive shaft and it's center support for play, check the rear pinion for play, spin the rear wheels by hand a up ported report back.
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT