Hello, just bought a 2005 Ford freestyle needs a little work

Gkitchens1

Hello, just bought a 2005 Ford freestyle needs a little work

Post by Gkitchens1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:35 am

Hello I'm brand new to the forum and never heard of the freestyle before buying this car. I like it, it's a limited AWD model with the DVD player and back up sensors, learher seats and it's the 6 seater (wanted 7)

I've been spending a lot of time learning about it here on this forum. I'm ready to make repairs but I have a few questions i can't find answers to using the search function or google down below, first i'll explain what I need to do. It is currently running warm and has no heat. I'm planning to replace the water pump and thermostat next week to be on the safe side but I believe it is just because it has mostly water and not coolant in it and it needs burped. I am replacing the pump with an OEM type that bolts to the back of the cam, and I believe there is supposed to be a seal/gasket there but I cannot find one to buy.

It also needs a wheel bearing on the front which should be straightforward but I've heard you can't just compress the caliper with a clamp because it screws out.

Less minor, the DVD player doesn't work. Radio did not work when I got it but f11 fuse was missing. replaced it and radio works but DVD Screen doesn't come on and it won't accept or eject a disk, and finally the reverse sensors don't work. It beeps 3 times then the orange light comes on to say it's turned off.

My questions are:
1 where do I find the seal where the water pump mates to the cam?
2 how do I compress the brake caliper on the front so I can reinstall it?
3 where should I start with the DVD player?
4 where should I start with the backup sensors?

Thank you all for your time. I think I'm going to enjoy this car very much.

ds32928

Re: Hello, just bought a 2005 Ford freestyle needs a little work

Post by ds32928 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:46 pm

2. front pistons will compress in as usual. Only the rear pistons turn in with a "cube tool". Some guys buy this tool in a set, at Harbor Freight, you might find one on loan from a auto parts store where you buy your rear pads.

Gkitchens1

Post by Gkitchens1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Cool deal thanks. Throwing the new hub in should go fairly smooth then. Now if only I could track down the stupid seal for the back of the water pump i'll Be in good shape. I'm sure I can figure out the other stuff given enough time, which is something I never seem to have much of that is free.

Gkitchens1

Post by Gkitchens1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:13 pm

Bump

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Welcome
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Gkitchens1

Post by Gkitchens1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Update time. Pulled thermostat and it is new. Also noticed lots of metal shavings in the (bright green) coolant. Decided to pull the thermostat housing off the water pump, stuck my finger inside and I can rotate the impeller by hand (by finger) with no problems. So I pulled it off too and it looks like where the cam meets the pump it's pretty worn out. Before that I fired the engine with the t-state housing off and the pump spins fine (with no pressure on it) I'm gonna order a new water pump that bolts to the cam on Friday. Does anyone know if it needs a special gasket to work properly without leaking?

Gkitchens1

Post by Gkitchens1 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:32 am

Ordered the new pump this morning, should be here tomorrow. Will update with results.

Gkitchens1

Post by Gkitchens1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:37 am

Got the new water pump on and it's running good, not overheating. Putting the new wheel bearing on shortly, flushing the coolant and burping it again and new wiper blades and all that jazz.