Engine Seized? 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD

depster

Engine Seized? 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD

Post by depster » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:19 am

My wife went about 4,500 miles over the recommended without getting her oil changed....

Yesterday the car wouldnt start. Key goes in, lights come on but engine doesnt make a sound.

When the tow truck guy came he looked at the oil and told her there was NO OIL on the dip stick at all, completely dry. He suggested that the engine must be seized.

Unfortunately Im away for business and cant check anything out myself.

Im contemplating the costs of replacing the engine. I am new to the area and dont know the shops that well.

How should I start this painful journey??? Get it towed to a shop with the best ratings I could find. then what?

PS: Tow driver suggested we put a few quarts of oil in the car and let it sit a few days and try starting the car again? Ebay used motor with their 1 year parts and labor warranty ($100 the cost of the warranty)? Car-Parts.com low/medium mileage engine replacements in my area for for $250-$500). I checked a few salvage yards by me and they do have a motor in that price range. It must be a high risk option though.

Our biggest challenge is we have very low credit 400s, so a car loan for a new car is out of the question.

Wondering what labor would cost as well to remove and replace an engine if I get the engine by the above means.

I'd love to hear feedback. Need feedback. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by depster on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

depster

Re: Engine Seized? 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD

Post by depster » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:25 am

Oh one more note, the tow guy stated the battery had juice, that its not the battery.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:38 am

Welcome, sorry to hear about your problem. However I suspect that the oil didn’t just all go away in those 4500 miles. Was the oil warning light lit at all? If not is it working?
On the plus side there are a lot of the 3.0s out there and if you keep oil in them they are usually pretty bulletproof so after it’s replaced you should be good for many more miles.
One suggestion, put new plugs in the engine before it goes in.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:26 am

Welcome. Tow truck drivers are not mechanics! It could be an electrical issue that's causing a no crank condition. I would do more diagnosis before assuming the engine is blown. It may be, but there are things you can do before just replacing it. Scan for diagnostic codes. Visually inspect wiring and connectors. Check all fuses & relays, etc. If you can get a ratchet and socket on the crank pulley bolt, try to turn it clockwise and see if the engine rotates. It may take a good amount of effort.
depster wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:19 am
My wife went about 4,500 miles over the recommended without getting her oil changed....
That's never a good idea unless you're using full synthetic oil and doing analysis at intervals. Did she at least check the oil level monthly? Sounds like no.
depster wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:19 am
PS: Tow driver suggested we put a few quarts of oil in the car and let it sit a few days and try starting the car again?
I literally laughed out loud at that. Letting it sit for a few days is completely irrelevant. Adding a few quarts of oil is a good idea though.

depster

Post by depster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:23 am

Ok, GOOD NEWS.

It was a LOSE WIRE in the starter. He charged me $45 and I feel VERY fortunate that I found an HONEST mechanic. Naturally I asked him for an oil change and I learned a good lesson. And I wont exaggerate be saying I was really sweating it out because we just could NOT afford a new car.

I live in the Northeast PA area, the Pocono Mountains. I'll be happy to recommend this shop to anyone who asks as long as I continue to get simple honest service. (and if its allowed on this forum.

Thank you VERY MUCH to the webmaster and mmsstar for your responses.

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Glad it worked out. Never assume anything.
I was about to post that it's likley a coincidence oil is low... not gone and check primary starting cables and the IGN lead wire to the starter.

It only takes about 1.25 to1.75 qts. To be off the stick.

Engine takes 6.5 ish quarts on a full proper oil change.
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT