2005 Freestyle CVT code P0641 REPAIRED

Sawdust Steve

2005 Freestyle CVT code P0641 REPAIRED

Post by Sawdust Steve » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:04 pm

My daughter bought a 2005 Freestyle in 2010 and drove it daily until last fall. The famous code P0641 came up and speed restricted to 40 mph at high RPM. Dealer was at a loss for diagnosis or suggestion in 2017. Most everyone is familiar with that part.

She needed to buy a new vehicle to get to work, got a new Edge that she is happy with. I inherited the Freestyle in my driveway: no corrosion, engine is sound and daughter had a lot of new stuff on it.

It was perplexing that sometimes it could drive fine for a month to six weeks. Other times you would have to restart it 4 times in 10 minutes. According to Ford, if the sensor supply voltage is outside of the specified 6.0 to 10.7 volt range, a fault will be stored (P0641). To me that meant it wasn't one of the catastrophic mechanical failures.

Recently a sticky went up and at the end, a member xvert posted a bunch of Ford documents. One of them showed the location and procedure for the transmission connector.
Connector Instructions.png
Connector Instructions.png (93.21 KiB) Viewed 118 times
So, I then attempted to check out the connector. You have to remove the air filter housing and hose to MAF sensor for access. Be sure to remove one of the battery cables.

My first clue was that the connector had some wiggle to it. You rotate the tab counterclockwise like in the upper picture instructions.

I next saw a hole in the harness insulation and exposed copper wire. It looked like it had wore on a bracket and then made contact with the wire.
Hole in insulation.jpg
Hole in insulation.jpg (46.16 KiB) Viewed 118 times
I used a piece of bicycle tire inner tube to wrap it and then tie straps to hold it in place.
Insulating sleeve.jpg
Insulating sleeve.jpg (53.81 KiB) Viewed 118 times
Getting it oriented to go back in took some time, working from above there is no real alignment clue. I just kept at it until it went in and then rotated the lock clockwise. The tab at 11 o,clock is what you move counterclockwise to unlock and clockwise to lock. The connector is very firm now.
After repair.jpg
After repair.jpg (52.66 KiB) Viewed 118 times
The after picture shows the location with the filter housing removed.
Wide view.jpg
Wide view.jpg (72.66 KiB) Viewed 118 times
Couple days on the repair and no issues. This is a big improvement from prior week. I'll update mileage in a week or two.

My first suggestion to anyone is checking if the connector is indeed firmly secured.

Steve.

RVAFreestyle

Re: 2005 Freestyle CVT code P0641 REPAIRED

Post by RVAFreestyle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:27 pm

I'd cut it back apart, pull the loom apart figure out how many wires are damaged, cut out the damaged one, splice in new wire with solder, heat shrink, then tape and new loop, double loop or as you did tube or hose it. Viola..
Permanent repair.

If left alone the wires will corrode and you'll have nothing to splice to and will have to find a donor harness to splice in
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

Sawdust Steve

Post by Sawdust Steve » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:16 pm

RVAFreestyle wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:27 pm
I'd cut it back apart, pull the loom apart figure out how many wires are damaged, cut out the damaged one, splice in new wire with solder, heat shrink, then tape and new loop, double loop or as you did tube or hose it. Viola.. Permanent repair. If left alone the wires will corrode and you'll have nothing to splice to and will have to find a donor harness to splice in
I do not disagree, but access to the harness is real tough without major disassembly. This will need to be a well planned project for me to do. It was "only" one wire with a glimmer of copper. Again, I agree, just need to really plan it out.

Steve.

Sawdust Steve

Post by Sawdust Steve » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:19 pm

Update: Going on two weeks with about 20 starts and 500 miles. No dash lights and runs fine.
Steve.