What a GEM of a car

NoobFreestyle

What a GEM of a car

Post by NoobFreestyle » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:13 pm

I have never owned a newer model car like this. This thing was an amazing find. A 2005 Freestyle with 138k Miles. It was definitely a mom-mobile, it is beautiful inside and out with an average of 10k per year since new. (I could tell bc all of the seat belts, yep all 6, had discolored edges on them). I even bought it without a test drive, and I was fully aware of cvt issues on this thing before I signed the papers today.

This thing is PRISTINE. I've searched already, but I could not come up with the right results and I would appreciate an educated answer from someone that has used an outside warranty company to ensure the drive train. I did a car fax check, nothing bad. Small accident with no damage reported.

I drove it today for the first time, for more than 4 hours, and it was a champ. Even up a really steep 1/4 mile hill (I was praying the cvt didn't slip!). The transmission did the job. The engine held firm. I LOVE this thing. I had driven many miles using a friends 2014 explorer last year, and I felt like I was driving HIS car.

Contacted Endurance yesterday, and got quotes for power train coverage. Has anyone here had any experience in this realm? Thanks in advance! I love this damn thing! I got it for 3500 out the door! I just want power train insurance as there's no way in hell I can deal with this. Been a mech all my life and now I'm 60. Any ideas? Thanks folks!

Scotty17

Re: What a GEM of a car

Post by Scotty17 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 pm

The fact it has 138k and don't know the last time the transmission was changed I would
recommend doing a fluid change, I was advised that the fluid on these CVT transmission should
be changed ever 50k miles.

Its all about the maintenance with these drive train's.

I got mine with 88k did a transmission fluid change also a gas filter and switch over to Synthetic Oil and using only Motorcraft oil filters

NoobFreestyle

Post by NoobFreestyle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks Scotty. Typical of a car bought off a used lot, there were no manuals included. I just received factory manuals for my car for 12 bucks off amazon. The change interval is 30k according to the manual. So that's next on the list. From reading all the posts here, some have done the change themselves, and others have it done at the stealership. I checked with the local oil change place and this job is $199. I've changed and flushed transmissions for many years myself. It's always a mess dropping a pan!

I don't even want to look, but is this change as simple as dropping the pan, let it drain and then refill? Plus the hp filter (I have no idea what that is). Where the heck do you fill this thing anyways?
Thanks in advance!

lparsons

Post by lparsons » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:58 pm

I know the standard logic is that transmission fluid should be changed at regular recommended intervals. However, on this forum there are more than a couple people who had their CVTs fail catastrophically after the first fluid change. Correlation is of course *not* causation but if you don't have any documentation showing that it's been done before it might be better to let sleeping dogs lie.
My 05 limited has ~165,xxx miles on it and the CVT fluid has never been changed. I keep up with the rest of the recommended maintenance but I always pass on that one. Last I checked there were pretty well zero sources for rebuilt CVTs that fit our freebies.
05 Freestyle Limited AWD - dark red (wife's car)
02 VW Passat W8 - all black (my car)

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:50 pm

I think most of those stories about failure after fluid change are due to the wrong fluid being used.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Scotty17

Post by Scotty17 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:28 am

2005 AWD SEL

I also wonder the failures of CVT how many of these people bought the Freestyle NEW, lets face it
it when it comes to a transmission lasting a lot depends also on you driving style.

The Freestyle is not a sports car and it you drive it like that you will KILL your transmission plain and simple.
Last edited by Scotty17 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

lparsons

Post by lparsons » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:11 am

mmsstar wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:50 pm
I think most of those stories about failure after fluid change are due to the wrong fluid being used.
It's hard to say for sure. I just know I've seen it reported more than once here. However we tend to see the death report here, not the autopsy results.
Scotty17 wrote:The Freestyle is not a sports car and it you drive it like that you will KILL your transmission plan and simple.
Well put. There is a reason why our V6 engine in the frreebie makes so little torque; the transmission can't handle it. Yeah the car can be almost pitifully slow at times but anyone who bought this car expecting performance was setting themselves up for disappointment. It's a great people mover, it can handle a fair bit of cargo, and it gets acceptable MPG on the freeway. Considering how cheap they are on the used market (when they show up) I don't see why anyone would expect more.

I've been consistently gentle with mine, always hoping to get more time out of it. If I wanted performance I would have gone for a different vehicle.
05 Freestyle Limited AWD - dark red (wife's car)
02 VW Passat W8 - all black (my car)

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:06 pm

I got mine at 119k had a trans service at 60k all Ford service history. I changed the high pressure filter and used Ford CVT oil.
It's due next service at 180k. I think I'm going to do it again. But I do drive it like a grandpa
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

Rodken

Post by Rodken » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:41 pm

I just bought my 2006 FS on Oct 1, 2018 with 114,000 miles and it is a really smooth and quite running engine. Only had 2 previous owners before me. It has been kept clean and no damage to body. Paint is excellent! Paid $3000.00 for it and after doing my research and seen what others have been paying I believe I paid a fair price for my FS. I am concerned about the CVT transmission after hearing all the horror stories but the fluid is very clean but I plan to change both filters and use Ford CVT fluid soon. I plan to do the work myself since I am only 79 years young ☺

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:23 am

Rodken:

Some have reported stripped trans pan screw holes when re-tightening steel screws in the aluminum trans housing. Some, if they change filters at all, change the HP filter only, as it sees the trans fluid first, then the fluid goes through the pan filter as a secondary filter.

Rodken

Post by Rodken » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:41 am

ds32928

Got it! Thanks so much for the advice! I didn't know the fluid went through the HP filter first. You probably saved me a big headache and some $'s 😊😊

NoobFreestyle

Post by NoobFreestyle » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:39 pm

I had no idea my first post here would generate so many responses. This is great. I love this 'truck'. The cvt is awesome, but I get some knocking on acceleration due to the faulty throttle body problem. I'm now at 140K+ and I'll bet it looks like chit in there. I'll be cleaning this thing out this weekend. Man those photos from earlier clean-outs look really like crap hit the fan.
Cheers all!