Freestyle steering really tight?

Stangyog

Freestyle steering really tight?

Post by Stangyog » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi all, I have a 2006 Freestyle. Over the last week, the steering has gotten really tight. When you turn left or right it feels like there are spots where the power steering cuts out. My guess is the power steering pump is bad, but just looking for some advise before I start throwing parts at it.

Thanks!

dmckmc

Re: Freestyle steering problem

Post by dmckmc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Most experiencing the issue you describe have success simply lubricating the steering joint behind the driver wheel. You can reach it fairly easily from the top. Spray the heck out of it with the spray lube of your choice. Alas, the fix is usually temporary and ultimately the joint needs replacing.

Of course, it's always good to check the power steering fluid level and maybe drain and refill while your jacking around under the hood.

For what it's worth, I've been spraying my steering joint about once a month for nearly a year and it keeps 'fixing' the catching or stickiness. 271,000 miles this week.

Stangyog

Re: Freestyle steering really tight?

Post by Stangyog » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:29 pm

YES!! That was the issue. I checked the u-joint at the rack and it was partially seized. Took it all apart and cleaned it up and its moving pretty freely... for now. Gonna replace it soon. Thanks for the info!!!