Auxiliary coolant pump repairing

xvert

Auxiliary coolant pump repairing

Post by xvert » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:45 am

I am not a blogger and photographer, but I think this is useful information for those who have a car equipped with an additional rear heater. Such cars have an auxiliary coolant pump (bosch) under hood.
auxiliary_coolant_pump.png
auxiliary_coolant_pump.png (68.59 KiB) Viewed 33 times
This pump probably does not work. This is the reason for the cold in the cabin in the winter. You can check condition of the pump simply: turn on the ignition (engine is off), turn on the a/c-heater fan ( or short-circuit the contacts 3 and 5 of the auxiliary coolant pump relay by wire) and open the hood. If the pump is functional, it emits a quiet buzz.
блок предохранителей.jpg
блок предохранителей.jpg (55.53 KiB) Viewed 73 times
Screenshot_20180724-153534.png
Screenshot_20180724-153534.png (93.85 KiB) Viewed 73 times
If the pump is faulty, you can easily fix it if you replace the brushes of the electric motor. The size of the brushes is 5 * 5 "* 10 (mm), I made them from drill brushes (5 * 6 * 16) for 15min. (Before assembling, you need to fasten the brushes with a thread)
aux_water_pump1.JPG
aux_water_pump1.JPG (44.15 KiB) Viewed 73 times
There are other repair options:
-pull the outflow hose out of the pump and connect to the cooling line instead of the incoming hose (the pump interferes with the flow of coolant)
-buy a new suitable bosch pump for 19mm hoses ($ 50-100) and transfer the mounting bracket.
axiliary_pump_bosch.jpg
axiliary_pump_bosch.jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 73 times