Front AC vs. front and rear AC?

JimSmith94

Front AC vs. front and rear AC?

Post by JimSmith94 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:48 pm

While I struggle with the 105-110 degree Texas heat this summer, I'm wondering when driving alone if I would get more cooling from running just the front or both front and rear together? Thanks for any input.

Warbird5

Re: Front AC vs. front and rear AC?

Post by Warbird5 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:28 pm

I have similar temperatures where I live in the summer and it is a personal preference if its just you in the car.

If you have passengers in the middle seat than I'd recommend you either give them the ability to use and control the rear AC. I'd definitely use the rear AC if there are passengers/animals in the third row seats.

Me, I use the rear AC any time I use the AC as I find it cools the entire interior faster and helps to maintain a more uniform temperature front to rear.

One thing I've found is initially the rear AC will blow hot to warm air for what seems like a extended period of time when it it first turned on. This is especially noticeable if the car has been sitting outside in direct sun for extended period of time.

Hope this helps you.

JimSmith94

Post by JimSmith94 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks @Warbird5! I've tried it both ways over the past few days and think it seems a little cooler overall with the rear AC on too.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:09 am

I live in Texas and I run the rear AC on low all the time. It's better for the system if there is some air flow across both of the evaporator cores.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth