Can it be fixed (bad transmission)? Several codes listed

Tleffew

Can it be fixed (bad transmission)? Several codes listed

Post by Tleffew » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:41 pm

The good engine runs great. 191,000 miles. Cold air, radio works, 4 tiger paw tires with 13000 miles. Clean interior. Small dent in front passenger side no rip or tears in the interior. The bad transmission. 0701,0961,0871,0868,0721,0715, u001. Can it be fixed or is it gone.
Last edited by Kate on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title

RVAFreestyle

Re: Can it be fixed (bad transmission)? Several codes listed

Post by RVAFreestyle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:32 am

Anything can be fixed. It's just a matter of how much money are you going to spend on the car. Generally speaking you're going to spend about 4 grand to have a shop that's willing to rebuild a CVT rebuild the CVT parts and labor. You can still get a CVT rebuilt Ford but it's going to cost you $4,000 just in parts to get a remanufactured CVT.

As much as I love my freestyle if and when the time comes that the CVT is gone it will be time to sell it and buy a low mileage Taurus X or a flex

The reason why I say that it's just generally cost-prohibitive. Certainly even an advanced DIY wire can remove the transmission at home and put a used transmission in for far cheaper. Used parts are just that they're used. Likewise some of the more common failures can be relatively easy to repair. As long as you're not nervous about buying a good manual watching a couple online videos and cracking open the transmission yourself.

Therefore it comes down to a couple quations are you ready willing and able to do some of the repairs yourself spanning the larger part of two weekends in your driveway on your back or paying someone thousands of dollars to do it in about a day or two.
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT