Need advice - should I have the transmission fluid changed?

Dolphpb

Need advice - should I have the transmission fluid changed?

Post by Dolphpb » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 am

I have a 2005 FS that I purchased a year ago. I was very blessed that it only had 24,000 original miles and was well cared for. I now have 55,000 on it with a trip of 6000 miles this spring and it ran great. It is time for an oil change and I wanted to know if I should have the transmission fluid changed or just leave it alone? Also I would like any advice on things to do now while it’s still in good shape that will prevent the usual problems. I would like to see 150,000 out of it. I am taking it to a dealer for service so as not to mess up regular maintenance. There are so many things I love about this car. Thanks for your advice!
Last edited by Kate on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title

mmsstar

Re: Need advice

Post by mmsstar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 am

Make sure the dealer knows not to mix regular ATF with the CVT fluid and not to use equipment used on normal tranny’s to flush the CVT.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

cvtsled

Re: Need advice - should I have the transmission fluid changed?

Post by cvtsled » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:05 pm

I believe that service longevity with all vehicles is accredited to routine maintenance..Specifically using original OEM factory lube specifications is key specifically with freestyle cars...As they do not use the same type transmission fluid as other Fords..I feel they have gotten a bad rap sheet due to improper driving habits..dumb garage mechanics and ignorant diy owner servicing..So many of these freestyle CVTs have over 200,000 miles and are still going strong...Know what your doing beforehand..One wrong guess of a maintenance procedure can and will cost you greatly...So using only reputable sources...double / triple check any knowledge or advice before doing anything on your own.. :idea:
Last edited by cvtsled on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:43 am, edited 8 times in total.

ds32928

Re: Need advice - should I have the transmission fluid changed?

Post by ds32928 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:35 pm

Most owners have the CVT fluid drained and replaced and the high pressure filter changed. Its not necessary to change the pan filter. The screws that hold the transmission pan strip when over tightening, so best to leave the filter alone. The HP filter does the main filtering.

A few DIY owners just drain and refill the CVT fluid without changing the HP filter.

If going to the dealership, make sure you make them hand write "drain and refill with CVT fluid, do not flush transmission, high pressure filter replace only" on the work order. Some dealers have no idea what transmissions came in these vehicles that were only sold for 3 years. Congrats on finding a low mileage Freestyle.