Electrical Induced Check Transmission

gpmiller321

Electrical Induced Check Transmission

Post by gpmiller321 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:18 am

My 2005 Freestyle transmission is stuck in neutral - no drive or reverse when shifted. On the dash it shows a wrench light and a "Check Transmission" indication. When the negative battery terminal is disconnected for a minimum of 1.5 hours the symptoms vanish and the vehicle runs and drives perfectly, but after the engine is shutoff this cycle repeats every time. The cause of this transmission problem is clearly electrical, just need some guidance how to proceed - thanks!

Splicer

Re: Electrical Induced Check Transmission

Post by Splicer » Sun May 27, 2018 1:03 am

Have CVT fluid?
2007 Freestyle Limited FWD 297,000+ miles 8)
2004 Escape XLT FWD 251,000+ :)
2006 Escape Hybrid AWD 121,000+ :mrgreen:

gpmiller321

Post by gpmiller321 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Fluid is ok - the vehicle runs and drives perfectly after resetting the PCM as described. Drove it all day yesterday 5/26/18 without any problems until I shut off the engine - I immediately restarted the engine and the tranny was inop again. Seems if there were an actual tranny problem the PCM would throw a code while I was driving it, but that's never the case.

dmckmc

Post by dmckmc » Mon May 28, 2018 10:38 am

what is the code when this happens? many of us have Ford manuals and may be able to provide pin point guidance for troubleshooting if we know the code.

gpmiller321

Post by gpmiller321 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:41 pm

The wrench light and "Check Transmission" indicator on the info screen are the only indications I have at my disposal, so I'm concluding that a code has been sent by the PCM. I'll check with my mechanic and get back with you about the specific code - thanks!

.....Ok, mechanic says the only code is P0701, which he says is a general tranny failure and not very descriptive. The strongest clues in this case are the repeatability of the symptom, as well as the dependability of the vehicle while driving it, and I should mention that when I'm driving it "all day" I'm not shutting off the engine at any time. I'm thinking the PCM is defective in some weird quirky way and somehow throws this code when the engine is shutdown.

gpmiller321

Post by gpmiller321 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:13 am

Just a quick follow-up: I've continued to drive the vehicle as-is with no change in symptoms. My routine is to disconnect the battery overnight then reconnect the next morning, start up and drive away. As long as I don't shut off the engine the vehicle will perform perfectly all day. However, the inconvenience of this goes without saying. Without any real answers - and my own unwillingness to get strung along on repair bills chasing "theories", I've decided to salvage the vehicle. I know the tranny on this car is of value - let me know if any of you want the car - thanks:)

Brooklyn_Freestyle

Post by Brooklyn_Freestyle » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:59 pm

gpmiller321 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:13 am
Just a quick follow-up: I've continued to drive the vehicle as-is with no change in symptoms. My routine is to disconnect the battery overnight then reconnect the next morning, start up and drive away. As long as I don't shut off the engine the vehicle will perform perfectly all day. However, the inconvenience of this goes without saying. Without any real answers - and my own unwillingness to get strung along on repair bills chasing "theories", I've decided to salvage the vehicle. I know the tranny on this car is of value - let me know if any of you want the car - thanks:)
That's a real bummer. I'm not terribly mechanically inclined but it couldn't hurt to try the process in this thread's video?
viewtopic.php?t=8552#p53993
2006 FS SEL AWD w/ 90k miles