2008 Taurus X AWD shock/strut removal - URGENT

romeroom

2008 Taurus X AWD shock/strut removal - URGENT

Post by romeroom » Tue May 22, 2018 5:34 pm

After replacing front control arms, bushings, tie rods, I discovered on of the rear coil springs is broken right at the top where it sits on the strut mount. According to Belle Tire the spring needs to be replaced before it is aligned. (The initial quote to replace the front arms, bushings, tie rods, rear springs/shocks was over $3,000. I don't think so.)

I found an identical vehicle at a junk yard but I can't remove the top shock nut accessed through the vehicle. The car at the junk yard and the one in my garage--the nut just spins. There seems to be no way to grab the center and use a wrench the rest of the way. I used an impact wrench with no success.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

DanfromSterling

Re: 2008 Taurus X AWD shock/strut removal - URGENT

Post by DanfromSterling » Wed May 23, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi assume you are from michigan as well. I'm out in Davisburg. Do you have jack under the hub pushing strut up? If the jack is in front on the frame the strut will be extended putting pressure on the strut and the nut might spin off. Other option is to clamp the strut shaft in wheel well area with vice gripes so doesnt spin. Clamp will damage the shaft to seal but strut is just getting removed and junked so don't do this on new one. With impact should get off. I have done 3 freestyle strut changes assume same for taurus x. Hope this helps.

romeroom

Re: 2008 Taurus X AWD shock/strut removal - URGENT

Post by romeroom » Thu May 24, 2018 9:07 am

Thank you. Great suggestions. Much appreciate it.