Recently bought a ford freestyle Blue smoke

Jordano

Recently bought a ford freestyle Blue smoke

Post by Jordano » Fri May 04, 2018 10:39 am

Hello I have recently bought my ford freestyle 2006 and after a week the engine warning light showed up.
I took the car to my mechanic and he scanned it and found p0420. he also told me that it was coming a bit of blue smoke from the exhaust pipe and it could damage my cat and cause the p0420 code
I searched the and this site said it coming from an internal leak from the engine?
https://askamastermechanic.com/p0420/

What could cause the blue smoke? Piston rings?? I have been told to check the crankcase ventilation and it looks good. No/little smoke is coming from the oil cap when I'm opening it and no pressure.
Should i be worried or can I replace the catalytic converter??

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Recently bought a ford freestyle Blue smoke

Post by Webmaster » Fri May 04, 2018 11:27 am

See https://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

The blue smoke is only kinda sorta related to the P0420 code. The p0420 is telling you that the catalytic converter isn't performing at optimal efficiency.

Were there any other diagnostic codes? Converters don't fail, they're killed. So don't replace it until you know what caused it to fail in the first place.

Blue smoke typically indicates burning oil in the combustion chamber, so possibly a head gasket leak. If it's just a puff of blue smoke on startup only then it's typically valve seals, which is not a big deal.

cvtsled

Post by cvtsled » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:59 am

try cleaning the throttle body....May solve your problem..

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:05 pm

With due respect, P0420 isn't telling you there is a problem in the catalyst.

P0420 is triggered by a fuel trim issue. Fuel trim is used when the engine control u it goes into "closed loop" (AKA uses the input from powertrain sensors to control fuel delivery, timing, and other controls to deliver optimum performance and emissions vs. "Open loop" which runs off preprogrammed values in the ECU until the engine reaches closed loop parameters.

Essentially, something is wrong on Bank 1 of your engine. It could be a vaccum.leak, bad plug, bad injector, worn or failed internals, a bad bank 1 catalyst, upstream or down stream o2 senaor, etc etc.

You need a a set of semi common tools to diagnosis this properly, 1st a scan tool that shows live engine data, a fuel pressure gauge and a smoke machine to test for vaccum leaks
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT