I just bought a 2006 Freestyle Limited-Questions-Hoping for the best

minstrel76

I just bought a 2006 Freestyle Limited-Questions-Hoping for the best

Post by minstrel76 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:44 am

Hello! I'm very glad to have found this website. I just bought a 2006 Ford Freestyle Limited yesterday after looking for a vehicle to replace my 2002 Ford Taurus SEL Wagon that got wrecked in a car accident a few weeks ago. I decided to buy it after test driving it and liking the roominess and power behind it, plus the AWD. However, now that I see lots of posts online about the CVT transmission issues, I'm a little bit fearful. Do good driving habits and transmission maintenance (or lack thereof) influence whether or not the transmission will fail, or is it due to defective design on Ford's part that make it inevitable that it will fail, regardless of maintenance? Thanks in advance for any feedback or imput.

bbolerrn

Re: I just bought a 2006 Freestyle Limited-Questions-Hoping for the best

Post by bbolerrn » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:29 pm

I have an 06 limited with over 170k and it loves long road trips at over 70mph with no problem I maintain the thing and don't drive it like a sports car or an off road vehicle which it is not, that said snow, mud, and 12inches of water didn't stop her either.
living the dream in Ohio

minstrel76

Post by minstrel76 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'm usually a pretty careful driver, so I'll be sure not to drive it like a sports car or an offroad vehicle. One thing that I noticed, though, is that when going down hills, the transmission seems to automatically "engine brake", so that I am going slower down the hill, but I can tell that the tranny is working because I hear the hum and the decreased speed. Putting on the brakes doesn't seem to stop this, as it just slows me down even more. Will just coasting down the hill (without shifting to neutral) damage the tranny?
Also, I had to buy and program a new FOB today. Ran into the problem already that the drivers seat automatically shifts to the closest position. I hope there is a way to program the FOB and the seat position so it doesn't go back to the vertically challenged position every time I press the unlock button. Any feedback would be appreciated.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Tue May 01, 2018 1:22 pm

You should be able to program 2 seat positions on 2 fobs so it moves to the position based on the fob used.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex