1 Year Review

Rob774

1 Year Review

Post by Rob774 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 am

Purchased my 2008 Taurus X SEL about a year or so ago. My experience so far has been very pleasing.

PRO's
- Comfortable Ride... even when fully loaded.
- 10 years in, the engine is still pretty responsive when I need it to be.
- Reliable. Yeah, its only 10 years, but I've had issues with vehicles not as old.
- Love the aggressive growl on start up. Wish I could tweak the muffler to make it sound a bit meaner.

Con's
- Knocking sound coming from under front right hood area when I turn off heat.
- Poor city fuel mileage. But I guess its par for the course with a vehicle of this size.
- Every once in a while it will just randomly shut off while parking. Its only be 3-4x in a year, but it comes out of nowhere.
- Driver's seater manoeuvering motor works when it wants to. I had to move it for a niece that was driving and it took forever to finally work again to move back.

My mileage is low for the vehicle, still > 100,000 miles. I've baby-stepped my way further and further from home, driving it 3 hours away to DC, with a total of 4+ driving straight factoring in on traffic. So far... no worries. Met a guy at the gas pump who said he took his to Maine with no worries.

I was looking at a similiar year Buick Enclave at the time, and I know the Enclave would have been fancier, I just think reliability-wise, I made out with the better vehicle. My next trip will be to SC which is a 9 hour drive for me from Philly.
The MORE you know, the dumber you sound to STUPID people.

spy1309

Re: 1 Year Review

Post by spy1309 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Knocking sound is a relatively easy fix you need to replace an air blend actuator the part is around $40, you can replace the muffles with ones with a more agresive tone.
Taurus X is not known to have issues with the electric chairs motors you can get a replacement from a junkyard , you can use even the ones fron Freestyles.
Regarding fuel economy you should check the spark plugs they might be still the factory ones and change air filter regularly.
My MPG improved a bit after I cleaned the MAS sensor .

baf20prz

Post by baf20prz » Tue May 01, 2018 10:39 am

Rob774 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 am
PRO's

- Love the aggressive growl on start up. Wish I could tweak the muffler to make it sound a bit meaner.
Are you sure the "growl" isn't your timing chain? Startup rattle is indicator of timing chain stretch and possibly water pump bearing failure. Just a thought.

Glad it's treating you well and hope you get many more good miles.

Rob774

Post by Rob774 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am

spy1309 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:13 pm
Knocking sound is a relatively easy fix you need to replace an air blend actuator the part is around $40, you can replace the muffles with ones with a more agresive tone.
Taurus X is not known to have issues with the electric chairs motors you can get a replacement from a junkyard , you can use even the ones fron Freestyles.
Regarding fuel economy you should check the spark plugs they might be still the factory ones and change air filter regularly.
My MPG improved a bit after I cleaned the MAS sensor .
Thanks so much for your reply. I will DEFINITELY look into the mufflers.
I'll look into the spark plugs. I haven't changed the air filter since I've had it. I used to toss in Bosch Platinum plugs in my old Focus. But I think I read on here early that it wouldn't do anything for this motor. Can anyone confirm?

Rob774

Post by Rob774 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:22 am

baf20prz wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:39 am
Rob774 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 am
PRO's

Are you sure the "growl" isn't your timing chain? Startup rattle is indicator of timing chain stretch and possibly water pump bearing failure. Just a thought.

Glad it's treating you well and hope you get many more good miles.
See now you are just plain scaring me. Although I don't have the ear of what an aging timing chain should sound like, the start up does seem like its a natural rumble from the muffler. I'll YouTube it and show you guys.

Thanks.

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:35 pm

Timing chain does not growl...rattle is a different story.