2008 Taurus X AWD problem

Mapleridge450

2008 Taurus X AWD problem

Post by Mapleridge450 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:06 am

2008 Taurus x limited Awd 130,000 mile owner here with AWD problems...
Symptoms:
1. Driving slowly in parking lot, when sharp turning into a spot forward or reverse, the AWD seems to be binding. Difficult to get the car moving - takes more throttle and can hear the tires gripping pavement and rocks.(binding?)
2. Stop and go accelerating while turning, front tire spins, squealed... never did this before, suspect no rear wheel traction (awd failure?).
3. Testing AWD on slipper snowy surface, with traction control switch on or off, I am not able to get rear wheel traction to “drift” (using AWD), sensing there is currently only front wheel drive. Sometimes the traction control light is already illuminated and the on/off button does not seem to activate or deactivate traction control.
4. Hearing a recent rear sound when in motion, like a rotating / scraping that is most noticeable at 25-40 mph that is much louder when turning right (like a bad wheel bearing).
Notes:
Intermittent lights in dash : ABS, traction control, rear backup sonar. Light come on when driving st low speed or accelerating to highway speed.
Could it be rear viscous coupler (or PTU) failure?

Mapleridge450

Re: 2008 Taurus X AWD problem

Post by Mapleridge450 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:14 am

OK, I think I found all I needed here :
viewtopic.php?t=3911&start=90

Sporktek

Re: 2008 Taurus X AWD problem

Post by Sporktek » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:12 pm

Will the Freestyle procedure work for the Taurus X? They use different transmissions, but I'm not sure if the PTU is the same unit.