I'm guessing this is pretty common...

PBblaster83

I'm guessing this is pretty common...

Post by PBblaster83 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:56 pm

So I just bought an 06 Freestyle on Saturday, test drove it and it ran fine. Everything seemed great, until my wife started driving it home. It went into "limp mode," rpms shot up to 4-5 k, couldn't go over 30 mph. We pulled over in a parking lot, turned it off and back on, it started right up and continued fine. We went to auto parts store, came back out and it started fine but shifting from P-R was like a "clunk," and then all other gears was the same. Drove home going about 20 MAX, usually a 10 minute drive.

Yesterday, after researching over the past few days, I changed the High pressure filter. 1) the fluid looked like it was 3x more than recommended 2) the filter looked solid black, like nobody had done anything with it. Flushed the fluid and replaced, I thought the filter change was a fairly simple process and after doing it once I felt like I could do it regularly. Test drove it after the filter change, drove fine right off. It felt a bit sluggish going uphill, but accelerated fine and drove great. Then it happened again. I figured I had been driving for about 30 minutes, and it took me about and hour to get home.

I talked to transmission shops today. I really like this car, but I have to get the transmission problem fixed. Forgot to mention it has 108 and some thousand miles, any suggestions?

mmsstar

Re: I'm guessing this is pretty common...

Post by mmsstar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:56 am

Could be the throttle body.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

jas88

Post by jas88 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:42 am

Flushing is not supposed to be done on the CVT. What fluid did you use?
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

PBblaster83

Post by PBblaster83 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:11 am

The wrench light came on the dash, looked it up and the book said "Throttle Position Sensor," so I'm thinking that will be next. I just didn't want to try and tackle two different things at the same time.

The oil was brown when it came out. I used Valvoline, it said it was compatible. I ran 6 quarts straight through and then put the plug back in. Then I put 5 quarts in, I think I ended up putting 5 and a half in.

Brooklyn_Freestyle

Post by Brooklyn_Freestyle » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:54 am

Throttle body is a very easy and relatively affordable fix. I'd start with that.
2006 FS SEL AWD w/ 90k miles

PBblaster83

Post by PBblaster83 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:01 am

Now are you suggesting the entire throttle body or just the position sensor?

I've also seen where an entire rebuild takes about 10 qts, but a filter/flush takes about half that, so I'm hoping I did that right.

Brooklyn_Freestyle

Post by Brooklyn_Freestyle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:12 am

https://www.carid.com/cardone/remanufac ... =136840843

That's what I bought and used and everything has been golden ever since. I cleaned the TB with TB cleaning fluid a couple time but ultimately it needed to be replaced.
2006 FS SEL AWD w/ 90k miles