2007 Freestyle newby with questions

2007 Freestyle newby with questions

Post by carpy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:11 pm

I bought a 2007 Freestyle SEL this weekend as a spare car and one that my kid could drive to school (I know its not a "sexy" car for a kid but beggars can't be choosers!! LOL). Anyway- the car was too clean and ran too well to say no for $3k but it does have 170K (one owner) miles on it. It drives unbelievably tight with no slop in front end, a nice, clean quiet interior and it just feels solid and stable. I am pretty stoked about the car- it feels like it has alot left in it. I have a few questions and a couple (what appear to be minor) issues-

1)Is anyone surprised this car is still humming along at 170Kwith the CVT? I know nothing about them but hear they are notorious. I do not know about service records. This makes me suspicious- really the only thing that worries me about the car (although I know its just a cheap & old car- still like to squeeze a couple years (or more) out of it!

2)It appears the radiator cooling fans have been "modified" to bypass the Bosch controller/switch (whatever it is). The fans are on always if key is on. Why should I care?

3)The radio has an "Aux" button on the 6 disc changer/head unit but no input jack (to plugin a phone or Ipod). How can I remedy this- the kid would love to be able to plug in his phone for tunes.

4)Everything in the car works, all the remote keys on steering wheel work but the horn does not. Seems really weird- never had a horn that didn;t work. Pressing the steering wheel center where horn should "honk" feels normal- just no horn. Any ideas?

I appreciate any info and am happy to have found this site! Thanks to all!!!

Re: 2007 Freestyle newby with questions

Post by DanfromSterling » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:15 am

1) I just drain the cvt fluid, measure how much comes out and put new back in every 50k miles after initial cvt fluid swap at 100k. Talking with Ford Engineer that I bought one of my Freestyle feedback he got talking with powertrain in general if issue with trans was usually between 60k to 100k.... We have 6 freestyle in family. I have only swapped Cvt fluid in mine and no filters. Got 185k on mine and bought with 82k. Some people on here with 200k with no trans fluid swap.
2). Not sure
3). I believe there is a module can buy to plug in to get aux plug. I just changed radio out with pioneer $100 radio with Bluetooth and hands free talking came with mic to mount on edge of headliner. Here is link to radio I have... Newer model of course. Works good. Put in my wife freestyle and 1 in mine for hands free... https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0753R5CS4/
4). Fuse? No power? Horn is behind front mesh grill could pull and test hooking direct to 12v.

Re: 2007 Freestyle newby with questions

Post by Scotty17 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:15 am

I used this in my 05 AWD freestyle works great.

https://www.amazon.com/JETech-Wireless- ... 00URUJWPW/