Starter replacement 05 Freestyle

Keyco08

Starter replacement 05 Freestyle

Post by Keyco08 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:01 pm

Hello. 05 fs with 110,xxx miles. I think the starter is bad. Not turning over, and whining noise under the hood. the battery passed the headlight test. I removed the positive cable, the ground, and another cable all held down by nuts on the solenoid. I am now lost as to how to remove the starter itself. There are no videos or detailed instructions. I am a novice backyard mechanic.

dmckmc

Re: Starter replacement 05 Freestyle

Post by dmckmc » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:23 pm

always test your battery, at least with a voltmeter. headlights can seem normal with a weak battery. look for at least 12 volts though it may start in the high 11 range (normal fully charged is 12.6volts). If you dont have a voltmeter then simply try jump starting the car.

next try tapping and rapping the starter with the handle of a screwdriver or similar. if it starts then your starter is on its way out.

now about removing the starter, 2 bolts and you may have to use various extensions to access as they are slightly hard to reach. bolts out, starter comes right out.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:37 am

Just be aware the 2 bolts that hold the starter down go downward (ie vertical) into the transmission case, which is different than most starters where the bolts are horizontal. They are 13mm head I believe.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Keyco08

Post by Keyco08 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:15 am

jas88 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:37 am
Just be aware the 2 bolts that hold the starter down go downward (ie vertical) into the transmission case, which is different than most starters where the bolts are horizontal. They are 13mm head I believe.
I got the two bolts out, but the starter won't budge. Like there's another screw or nut holding something down

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 am

I got the two bolts out, but the starter won't budge. Like there's another screw or nut holding something down.
AFAIK those are the only 2. I just pulled the starter out of a Mercury Montego (same car but with 6-speed trans) last night and there were only 2. I would bonk on it with a hammer to see if it is just stuck. I will be pulling the starter out of my FS (doing a 6-speed swap) this weekend, if there are any other retainers besides the 2 bolts I will let you know.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Keyco08

Post by Keyco08 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:50 am

jas88 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 am
I got the two bolts out, but the starter won't budge. Like there's another screw or nut holding something down.
AFAIK those are the only 2. I just pulled the starter out of a Mercury Montego (same car but with 6-speed trans) last night and there were only 2. I would bonk on it with a hammer to see if it is just stuck. I will be pulling the starter out of my FS (doing a 6-speed swap) this weekend, if there are any other retainers besides the 2 bolts I will let you know.
Took a screw and hammer and voila! Thanks for the help. Now to test it and see if that's why I won't start.