Hi All, need some help. The other end of line inside the tank...

customjob

Hi All, need some help. The other end of line inside the tank...

Post by customjob » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this, just got a freestyle in October.

I had a fuel leak coming out the top of the tank so I pulled the pump out and it was deteriorated beyond belief. I put in a new pump and now have been experiencing stalling after warmup and seems to be when off throttle coming to a stop or slowing down.

I checked for codes and had a code for the IAT. It is part of the mass air sensor. I tested the sensor and it tested out of spec. If I unplugged the Mass air, the car does not stall. I did not think the IAT was the cause of the problem but replaced the Mass air anyway as it was a problem that needed to be addressed. Car still stalled with new mass air sensor.

I was trying to think what would be happening when it is warm and not on the throttle. I thought maybe the evap purge. I pulled the line off the purge valve and notice fuel dripping out. So i unplugged the evap purge valve elctrical connector and took a ride. No stalling. I pulled the fuel pump back out to make sure i had connected the lines to the pump inside the tank correctly. They were connected but I noticed the one going to what I believe is the evap is full of fuel. Does anyone know where the other end of this line inside the tank goes? Is it possible the other end could have fallen into the fuel tank and is sucking up fuel?

Any help is greatly appreciated :D
Last edited by Kate on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title

customjob

Re: Hi All, need some help

Post by customjob » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:30 pm

I have been informed by someone selling a freestyle gas tank on Ebay that the other end of the line inside the tank is fastened to the inside of the tank on the same side it starts on but towards the front at the higher spot. I will look into it and see what I find.

Splicer

Re: Hi All, need some help. The other end of line inside the tank...

Post by Splicer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:36 pm

You certain it is a fuel issue or is it a low RPM issue?
2007 Freestyle Limited FWD 296,000+ miles 8)
2004 Escape XLT FWD 241,000+ :)
2006 Escape Hybrid AWD 121,000+ :mrgreen:

customjob

Post by customjob » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:43 pm

I'm not certain of much. This car has confused me quite a bit. The rpm seems normal. Also this problem seemed to present itself after I filled the tank of gas.

customjob

Post by customjob » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:09 pm

So in case anyone comes across this here is my conclusion:
The hose actually splits and goes to a high spot on the same side of the tank as well as somewhere else (im assuming a high spot on the drivers side of the tank). I confirmed that the car was dying out when the evap purge valve opened by manually opening it with a power probe. I disconnected the evap line going to the fuel tank and opened the purge valve and the engine did not die. I took out the fuel pump and plugged off the line going to the high spots on the tank, reassembled, manually opened the purge and the engine died. I found that the fuel pump I put in had a faulty tank vent valve so I plugged that off and let the evap suck from only the two higher valves. After reassembly and manually opening the purge valve, it does not stall. It has been running good for about a week now. Im not even sure why the lower valve exists, seems pointless to me being as the high ones will always be higher and sucking the vapors.