2006 Ford Freestyle lights come on, engine revvs, and car jerks

rajap

2006 Ford Freestyle lights come on, engine revvs, and car jerks

Post by rajap » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:04 am

Hi,
I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle Limited with about 300,000 miles on it. It has had only one problem before, which was a stuttering when you accelerated. We brought the car into the dealership, and had them fix it. Everything was fine for about a month. Then, when we were driving uphill, the car started to stutter again. Also, the engine cut out (we couldn’t hear it). It cut out for about the time it takes to switch gears on a stick shift car, and then it came back to life. This happened three times, and on the third time, a bunch of lights came on. We made it up the hill, and then had a look at the lights. They were: Check Engine light, ABS lights, Wrench Icon, Battery icon, oil pressure light and coolant light. Also, the instrument cluster’s gauges were all zero, except for the fuel, which was still reading properly (This means the RPM/Speed/temperature gauges). The little screen that normally shows the odometer data says “Odometer Error”. We turned the car off, and then waited about an hour. Then, we turned that car back on, and all of the same lights came back up. Then, after a few seconds of the car being on, the engine suddenly revved up. So, we immediately turned the car off. The lights stayed illuminated when the engine revved up, however, the speed indicator was jumping between 10 and 0 mph. The rest of the gauges stayed as previously described. We have taken it back to the dealer, and they told us that they needed to replace the dashboard, and that it would cost about $2000. Are they right? What should I do?

DanfromSterling

Re: 2006 Ford Freestyle lights come on, engine revvs, and car jerks

Post by DanfromSterling » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Assume you are talking about the instrument cluster. Easy part to replace yourself. Saw you have limited... 3 versions of cluster available based on model. Here should be yours available on ebay under $40.

m.ebay.com/itm/06-06-Ford-Freestyle-Instrument-Gauge-Cluster-Speedometer-155-950-Warranty-33468/401458759639?hash=item5d78ce87d7:g:M34AAOSwAHtaLvlo

Don't throw away your old cluster... Save for the cluster bulbs. Bulbs are around $8 each at dealership.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:02 pm

+1 Dan on cluster pricing and sourcing.

But in addition, i believe something else certainly must have made your car to cut out and stutter going up hill like that, and when the check engine light (CEL) came up, the car surely must have saved a code in the PCM for you to pull out and see exactly what is causing the problems.

can you find a code reader somewhere and have the codes read?

Is it possible for you to take the car to the nearest Autozone and have them read the code(s)? It is free of charge at Autozone. Code.

The code(s) could also still be there with the CEL not ON, it could be in there as a Pending Code and the CEL won't be ON. The Code(s) will be there so long as you have not taken off the Battery Terminals of your car since the incidence.

While we wait for the code(s) that would point in the right direction for the cause of the issues, i have a feeling that you car is probably having Gas or/and Vacuum issues somewhere along the whole system.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

rajap

Post by rajap » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:31 am

OK, I am looking into getting the codes, but in the meantime, what would the dealership do that would cost us $2000?

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:28 am

rajap wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:31 am
OK, I am looking into getting the codes, but in the meantime, what would the dealership do that would cost us $2000?
can't tell, honestly.

did they plug their Code Reader on the car, and what codes did they give you?

If there's a need to change the Instrument Cluster, just like Dan said, there're cheaper units on Ebay like the one he found. you would save a lot If you could find a Mech swap it out for you and then have the PCM reflashed at the Dealer + mileage restored on the new unit.

Some have even done the Cluster swap by themselves on here. While the diagram in this topic -- viewtopic.php?t=2752&start=15#p45510 -- does not list the steps to take out the cluster, it shows that four screws or bolts and a plug is about what needs to be removed. Unfortunately i no longer have my Service Workshop Manual with me.

The Cluster issue you have might still be the same issue in the whole thread i pasted, if you start reading it from Page 1 all the way to Page 3. It could be that the Cluster has the same old "Bath Tube" fault which is a well known and repairable fault with just a simply re-soldering of the "Bath Tube" prongs on the other side of the Board (see pictures).

Still, i would just be so surprised like over 100% if it turns out that the Cluster is the culprit for the stuttering and cutting out. I just have not seen anyone on here who had drivability issues such as the sttutering and cutting out due to a Cluster issue, i think that the cluster issue is a secondary electrical issue or coincidental with the Primary issue causing the stuttering and cutting out.

Even the Ford TSB on the cluster issue never listed stuttering and cutting out as part of the issues caused by a faulty Cluster (see the PDF doc TSB posted on page 1 of the thread i posted).
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

DanfromSterling

Post by DanfromSterling » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:23 pm

Around $659 for cluster from Ford Service. 2 screws on the plastic piece that surrounds cluster. Pull this part out. 2 screws on the cluster pull these screws out. Flip the cluster forward. 1 or 2 click in wire harness. Squeeze the wire harness tabs to disconnect the wire harness. Remove the cluster. Reverse to install.

Africa mentions the need for the PCM reflashed at the Dealer + mileage restored on the new unit. I don't believe this needs to be completed. The cluster pulls mileage from computer it should just be a direct swap of the cluster (using the right model cluster swap) and no reprogram needed.

Not sure what dealer is charging you. $700 for cluster and $1300 in labor? Can just ask them for breakdown of part cost and labor or more detail on what they are actually quoting you.

Not sure where you are located. But here in the Michigan you can still find Freestyle's for sale with low miles for the year. Saw yours has 300K miles. Here's one with 126K near me for $2850. Instead of putting $2000 into fixing yours another option may be to purchase another one? https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/ ... 31776.html

I have 182K on my Ford Freestyle. I bought another one this summer for $1750 for sale near my house. I couldn't pass up the deal as I like the car and do all my own work. Guy I bought from had into dealership they quoted him new air compressor and control arms at cost of about $2500 from what he said. It had 140K miles and was going to need struts as well down the road. So he decided to buy something else instead of putting money into car. He had it priced based on these known issues. I paid $140 for ac compression and $100 for control arms + $100 for belle tire to vac and add ac refrigerant + $70 for wheel alignment = $410 for issues he had quoted at $2500. I also replaced the struts, outer tie rods, and sway bars while I had it apart. Another $230 in parts.

Dealerships are in the business to make money on service parts and hit you hard on labor. Just sharing this as example.

Hope you are able to figure out what is going on with yours.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (42.28 KiB) Viewed 343 times