Start then no start 05 Fredstyle

Athomas

Start then no start 05 Fredstyle

Post by Athomas » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:04 pm

I have a 2005 Ford freestyle and one day I drove to a event and once I got done I ready to leave my car wouldn’t crank all of the Power working it just wouldn’t turn over the starter wouldn’t activate so I left it overnight and when I came back the next morning it cranked. so I drove it home and then later on at night when I was going to go to the store it cut off while I was driving so I left it but again that next morning it started with no problem. Replaced the starter relay and that didn’t work. So now I can start it up and let it get up to temp but once I turn it off and try to restart it it won’t start but once I let it cool though it’ll start again. What else can I check

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Start then no start 05 Fredstyle

Post by Webmaster » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:17 pm

First thing I'd do is verify the electrical connections at the battery terminals, starter, and ground(s). You might also want to scan for diagnostic codes in case there are any.

Sometimes you can tap the starter with a hammer (not too hard) and it can cause it to work. If that's the issue then you should rebuild or replace the starter.

Mike51Merc

Re: Start then no start 05 Fredstyle

Post by Mike51Merc » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:52 am

I've found that permanent-magnet gear-reduction starters (like the Freestyle has) will fail in that fashion---- by intermittently working and not working until finally they quit altogether.

The good news is that removing/replacing the starter on these engines is pretty easy, and also that many auto parts stores will bench-test your old starter for free.