Front Subframe Hole

mlacomb

Front Subframe Hole

Post by mlacomb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:52 pm

Got my freestyle back from the dealer; they mention that there is a fist sized hole in the subframe near the power steering unit...

Anyone ever swapped out the subframe? I know it's a big job and nothing I'm going to tackle in my garage. My concern is is that I'll have to go looking for a subframe that's in good condition (probably means NOT in snow country).

Ford is not making this part anymore (per the dealership, I'll still look but not getting hopes up.)

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Front Subframe Hole

Post by Webmaster » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:59 pm

What's the hole from? Rust? Is it actually a structural/safety issue or just cosmetic?

http://www.car-part.com is a junkyard locator service that is very handy, I've used it a few times. I'm not sure that subframe would be a listed part but it's worth checking.

mlacomb

Post by mlacomb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:32 pm

I haven't had a chance to look in detail yet, but the report from the dealer states that the power steering gear is loose and the mount will fail.

I'll check out that site. I'm going to see if I can find someone local here that will do the swap. Only 101k on the clock, there should be enough life left!

Mike51Merc

Post by Mike51Merc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:57 am

I pulled my subframe when I repaired my transmission. It's not really that hard to do. Support engine from above, disconnect lower suspension at the A-arms, remove all the stuff attached to the subframe, drop exhaust system, and remove the 4 bolts holding frame in place.