2007 Freestyle OBD Code P0715 Question

kahunna

2007 Freestyle OBD Code P0715 Question

Post by kahunna » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Getting a P0701 and a P0715 (Input/Turbine Speed Sensor A Circuit) code, with the generic wrench light. Question is where that Input/Speed Sensor A is located? Is it near the rear of the torque converter like the non-A(OBD-II) Input/Turbine Sensors?

xvert

Re: 2007 Freestyle OBD Code P0715 Question

Post by xvert » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:10 am

kahunna wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:22 pm
213,000 miles on our 07 Limited. ..Original CVT is just starting to be problematic (see my thread of Dec. 6th, titled 2007 Freestyle...OBD Code P0715...). Not sure what to do with that...anyone dealt with that code?
It seems to me that the main question is whether it is profitable to try to repair the cvt with a mileage of 213000...
Let's look at the scheme and read the description of code
181130165.jpg
181130165.jpg (42.39 KiB) Viewed 40 times
The Turbine Shaft Speed sensor is monitored for circuit rationality (P0716, speed too high (>7,500 rpm) or erratic) and insufficient output/no signal (P0715).
Theoretically, this is possible in two cases:
-the Turbine Shaft Speed sensor is damaged. In this case, the TCM generates an fault code (the wrench lamp) immediately after the engine starts. You will need to replace the TCM (TSS is located in TCM)
-the Torque Converter clutch is slipping. In this case, the TCM generates an fault code after switching on the torque converter lock-up ( speed is more than ~30 mph). TCM does not expect that the speed of rotation of the engine and the input shaft of CVT are different. You will need to replace the three O-rings of the input shaft or replace the torque converter (if the friction linings are worn off) or replace\clean Torque converter clutch solenoid ( PCE solenoid).
PS These are just theoretical considerations, I'm not a mechanic

kahunna

Post by kahunna » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks xvert, your thoughts about repairing the CVT with that kind of mileage are are what I am trying to work through. Transmission replacement is also pretty damn costly...Ford remani now lists that CVT at $5,200+, and my area dealer doesn't show any available anywhere. Says he could call the Ford Plant that re-makes the trannys and see when delivery would be.
Trying to find used trannys locally to get a cost idea, but am coming up empty. Got one large shop looking for me. A transmission shop I know and trust would install one for $800-$1,000 he told me.
Meanwhile, my wife and I are nursing the car while driving, trying to keep it running correctly. Wife drove it 130 miles today with no problems, so maybe we can baby it along for a bit till we can decide what to do. Have put 175 miles on it with no incidents since it shifted into "safety mode" a week ago, and we crawled home, restarted it (ran fine) and took it to our mechanic who checked the code errors.

kahunna

Post by kahunna » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

xvert - Forgot to mention above...in researching on this forum about the CVT issues, I am confused about the "helicopter noise". Is this noise a very high pitched, faint grinding type of whine, or a "womp, womp, womp" like a heli engine would sound when flying?