Horrible MPG

Danigirl834

Horrible MPG

Post by Danigirl834 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:15 am

I picked up an 07 SEL AWD a few weeks ago. It has 93k miles on it. The exterior is quite good and the interior is immaculate. Gave $4800, so I feel good about it. This will be much better for my FIVE kids than my Mustang was lol.

Anyway, I am getting what I would consider to be hideous mileage for mixed driving. I'm getting about 16 and figure I should see 22 or so. Im rarely hard on the pedal, just to merge and pass.

I was wondering if the group could list likely culprits from most to least likely. I searched around and it looks like the throttle bodies can crap out. Any other common causes in this model? The help will be appreciated.
2007 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD

Africa_FS_07

Re: Horrible MPG

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:47 am

Welcome.

Air filter condition?

PCV valve condition?

engine Vacuum system issues?
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Ram38ny

Post by Ram38ny » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:56 pm

I’m having the same issue only I’m getting 14 mpg in city. I do have a remote starter on mine and I noticed if it idled any length of time the mpg drops big time. Any suggestions???

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Ram38ny, it just eats fuel, and the miles stay the same. Life as we know it, using remote start and idling.

Danigirl834, easy part, after checking the air filter, ( some amount of leaf litter in the folds is ok, but it should not be dirty, dark gray, down in the bottom of the paper folds), then do a fuel table reset. Have the gas in the tank you plan to run, alcohol, or no alcohol.

With the engine off and cold, key off, disconnect the neg. battery cable for 2-3 minutes, step on the brake pedal, reconnect neg battery cable, key in ignition, radio off, ac off, parking brake on, vehicle in park, turn the key to on and wait 10 secs., gauge needles may sweep and go back down, start the vehicle and let it idle until temp. gauge comes up to normal. then follow the instructions on this guys phone, after you follow the instructions for the A/C etc, drive normally for 10 miles without shutting off the engine. The computer re-learns how to manage fuel usage based on driving conditions and the octane of the fuel in the tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAq9pk8mDuI

I'd pick a warm-ish day to do this, as it requires the engine to be off for 4 hrs or so, and letting the vehicle idle until the temp gauge comes up to normal. Could take some time if its 10 degrees outside.

EDIT: If you live somewhere where they sell gas with more than 10% alcohol in it, dont use it, terrible gas mileage with it. I run 10% alcohol gas, and mileage isnt that low, Im getting about 19-20mpg combined, driving with a heavy foot. '07 AWD, too cold now, so no A/C on. I imagine you've filled the gas tank a few times since buying it, someone may have been trying to run high alcohol gas in it, and traded it in.