oil leaks

Wheelman

oil leaks

Post by Wheelman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:19 pm

My dealer technician tells me I have multiple engine oil leaks and wants up to an hour ($125.00) to diagnose the problem. I only see a few drops of oil on the garage floor. Does anyone have similar problems? I know i have a few drops coming out of the front crankshaft seal. I never need to add oil between oil changes. So is this serious?

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: oil leaks

Post by Webmaster » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Save yourself some cash and add AT-205 to the crankcase, and use it at every oil change. It will stop that oil leak, it really works, I'm a big fan after trying it. It stopped a seeping rear diff seal on my 03 F150 quickly. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N1KWFRW/

It's a bit pricey on Amazon. If you ever go to Regina, Albert North Auto stocks it, I got some there last week. The first time I tried it though I couldn't find it locally so I bought it from the US Amazon site.

DanfromSterling

Post by DanfromSterling » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Don't sound serious if not going through oil between oil changes.... Mine has needed the gasket changed on the front camcover near water pump area. $10 for seal of eBay and gasket maker.. $15 and about hour of work. $125 for hour of work? My parents had leak on their rear camcover gasket. Diagnoses was free and to fix was $550.... I told them to pass on fixing as they did not need to add oil between oil changes.

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:13 pm

I plan on keeping this car for a long time so I am suspicious of down the line damages this additive may possibly cause. I'd rather get it fixed properly and pay the bill, but I don't want to be gouged. I think the technician should diagnose it, fix it and be done. I don't think I should pay for diagnoses and fixing. I am interested in knowing what kind of oil leaks people had, how they were fixed and the cost. That way I can have a worst case scenario.

YellowJacket

Post by YellowJacket » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:55 pm

My local Ford dealer last year told me I needed a complete engine reseal (valve covers, front engine cover, oil pan) and quoted me $1,600 labor. I have 197,000 miles, and do not have to top off between oil changes so I have not addressed it. More recently I was quoted $285 by a private shop to replace just the oil pan gasket (involves removing part of the exhaust pipe to access).

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:54 pm

I get that you'd want to fix it for real instead of using an additive. I think you'll find that most shops use "flat rate". In other words, you say I need XYZ done, they look up how many hours to charge you for, and then add in any tax, shop fees, enviro fees, etc. The only real difference between the shops will be the hourly rate, not the # of hours of work.

I don't know if the dealer actually diagnosed all the things that are leaking/seeping. Oil flows down, even when it's on the outside of the engine 8) It's possible they saw oil seepage on the engine and want to replace all the seals as a sort of proactive way of stopping leaks. If you took it in just to have the valve cover gaskets changed and then it's seeping out the oil pan the next time you take it in, you're going to think they're just trying to find more things wrong every time you go in.

If you want to do a relatively easy DIY diagnostic step, add some dye to the oil and use a blacklight to see exactly where it's coming from (ideally you'd degrease the engine first before doing this). Then you tell the shop I want you to replace XYZ (only).