2005 Freestyle Alternator Woes

mlacomb

2005 Freestyle Alternator Woes

Post by mlacomb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:42 am

2005 Freestyle, around 109k on the clock. Coming home from work about a month ago, got a battery light - not constant, but intermittent regardless of RPM. Drove another 2 miles home, researched options on alternator replacement.
Got on fordparts.com, put in VIN and ordered a reman. Replaced, at idle voltage swings 12.2 to 12.7. Lights flicker a bit. Above about 2k rpm, lights are fine (don't have an in-car voltage reader, taking directly from battery.)
Put old alternator back in, no flicker and the battery is rising constantly up to 13.0v and beyond @ idle. Had Advance Auto test the reman alternator - showed good. Had Ford RMA the new alternator, got a replacement - doing the same thing.

Anyone have any experience with this? I really don't want to take this to the dealer. The only way they can test it is to have the car in the shop. I've not put any real drive time on the car yet (not even enough idle time to re-learn idle etc) - so is it even remotely possible that the computer has to relearn how to tell the alternator to do it's job? I've never experienced this issue before with replacing alternators, so it's got me quite frustrated.

DanfromSterling

Re: 2005 Freestyle Alternator Woes

Post by DanfromSterling » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:33 pm

Here is previous post from my experience... You should get around 14v reading at idle. I got 12.5 back or so and was enough to drive to work but did not charge battery used secondary battery box to hook up to start my car couple days to get back and forth to work until I had time to put new alternator in. I have installed 3 refurb advance auto alternators..... 3 different freestyle with no issue. Carquest brand alternator.... I believe if you search on here others have had issue with rebuilt alternator or brands working with vehicle. Could put Carquest brand on see if takes care of issue.... Has worked for me. If not can always return.

viewtopic.php?t=6045

mlacomb

Post by mlacomb » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:18 am

Thanks for the Insight, the main reason I went with the Motorcraft part is because of the issues I've read on here about alternators. I guess they're no better. I do have Carquest nearby, and I was thinking about doing so. I'll keep everyone posted.

mlacomb

Post by mlacomb » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:50 pm

So - testing tonight shows this:

Start and idle - erratic between 11.8 and 12.7, lights flicker
Bump over 2k - 14.14v steady
after bump - down to 1k and it seems to hold @ 14.14v (attempting to charge)
drop back to idle - back to erratic.

I've made an appointment with the dealership to investigate and will drive with this setup about 20 minutes to them tomorrow morning.

mlacomb

Post by mlacomb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 pm

So, took in total 4 alternators to get one good working one. I tried two, drove to dealership with "bad" one hooked up, dealership had to RMA twice to get a working one. Fun. Will pick up this weekend, hopefully we're all squared away now.

On a side note, I know how to change Freestyle alternators out within 30 minutes or your money back.