Replace hood insulation?

peg645

Replace hood insulation?

Post by peg645 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:36 pm

My 2006 AWD is really on its last legs now body wise, but still running really well with 195k on it. I was told 2 years ago it would not pass NY State inspection due to a small hole in the frame. A couple of shops looked at the "issue" and agreed the State wouldn't ok it and it would cost over $2k, but really not a concern for awhile driving wise. In the meantime, I happened to take a contract job in Florida last year, and when registration/inspection time came up, had to register it down there where there are no inspection requirements. :)
So now have come back home, and will be buying another vehicle once I get another job contract (I do insurance claims).

I am in upstate NY, and the past couple of days the temps have dropped considerably. And once again, the mice have decided to move on in - to the car. Have had this issue before, and have loaded the interior up w/ scented cotton balls and dryer sheets. But after minor attempts before, they did a number on the insulating hood liner last week, tearing a big hole in it - discovered when I took it in for an oil change. Today, because it was so cold last night, I checked again. They may be avoiding the interior, but really tore the insulating blanket apart. Friendly neighborhood shop just tore it out for me the rest of the way.

It will be pretty cold here I suspect for the next 5 months or so. Hope to be getting job within a few weeks. Is there any reason I have to replace that liner for winter driving? We can get some -0 mornings - would it make any kind of difference starting the car (which has always started well even in those temps). Have an effect on the heater? I have read online in other models some claim it helps put out an engine fire if one starts. And protects the exterior paint. So I don't know if I really need another?

I will be missing the car once gone, but really have been so grateful to all of you who helped with some serious repairs - I did get used to replacing the brakes/wheel bearings more often than most vehicles. But solved my DEM module problem over 100k miles ago - at which time the dealer told me it wasn't worth the repair. Hah! You all saved me, and I have loved this car. My driveway is on a tough incline and we can easily get over 100" of snow. This car has saved me time and time again.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Splicer

Re: Replace hood insulation?

Post by Splicer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:53 am

The insulation is only a noise barrier and to keep heat off the hoods paint. But you said no worries about the body condition so I (personally) wouldn't worry much about it.

I've never known mice to move into a car that is regularly used (daily) before, only ones that sit. Start driving it around more often, park in different places, etc...that should help.
2007 Freestyle Limited FWD 288,000+ miles 8)
2004 Escape XLT FWD 218,000+ :)
2006 Escape Hybrid AWD 116,000+ :mrgreen:

peg645

Re: Replace hood insulation?

Post by peg645 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks, Splicer. Wish that was the case - they made the last nest overnight. I've had it facing several ways on my driveway, but am in a rural area, and mice a problem being about the only house near acres and acres of crops.
Probably drive it 5-6 days a week at least.