Seeking A Road Trip Advise for a round trip 2466 miles.

Minnesota_Nice

Seeking A Road Trip Advise for a round trip 2466 miles.

Post by Minnesota_Nice » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:02 am

My freestyle has 122++ miles. It is well maintained, I had the 120 miles check up at the dealer and even had the transmission fluid change by the transmission master mechanic ( I was overly cautious). Now, my family is making a road trip from Minnesota to Utah. My wife suggested we rent a vehicle, but the thing is it would have to be either an SUV or Van because there will be four of us including our 1-year-old baby and his "equipment." I wanted to save money for the trip (indeed), the airfare is just way to expensive and renting is also spendy: vehicle rent per day + gas. But, if we use our vehicle I will only pay for gas on top of food and a night a motel.

Anyway, I would like to ask the much-experienced drivers here what should I do to make my Freestyle road worthy of the long trip. I have a list of what I wanted to do:

1. 125 miles check up at the dealer.
2. wheel alignment.
3. oil change.

Any input would be beneficial and appreciated!

ps.
If any of you know of a how-to video to change a clock spring, I would love to see it. The horn works when the wheel is turned to the right or left, but when it is at its 12 clocks (resting position), it just will not work. My wife told me to do something about the car horn before we leave for Utah.

:D :D :D

JimMc

Re: Seeking A Road Trip Advise for a round trip 2466 miles.

Post by JimMc » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Your lists sounds good. While its in the shop get the horn fixed. Have a safe and fun trip.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:51 pm

i think you've done almost all the right things already.

We took ours on a number of long trips while we had it, and honestly it never let us down.

from my experience with ours, It even appears the freestyle loves to be on the wide open road far more than within the city....perhaps that was a Freestyle's original destiny, but Ford didn't pay much attention to it :lol: .

Two things though IF you can, first one is much more critical:

1...stay off the Cruise Control for extensive periods of time if you can on the wide open roads, its been the Achilles heels for this car on the wide open road. Many reports of the CruiseCont confusing the Car's PCM and CVT's TCM when its active.

Many have reported insane RPM levels and erratic behavior from the CVT when the CruiseCont is ON on the open road.

2...though its still Nine Days away for November, but if you're still on the wide open roads by that date, beware of the "ides of Mr Knowitall"......keep the Gas Tank at at least Half Tank always because of the "Saddle Config" of the Tanks.

Going below half tank SOMETIMES makes the Pump on the Right side suck in air intermittently due to the gas sloshing around inside the tank especially when climbing/descending hills, makes the car shudder from momentary gas starvations.

i call it the "c*rse of mr knowitall"..... :twisted:

many of us did experience this issue (2) with the car. So we keep the gas above half tank.

So, that's about it.

Bon Voyage!
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Minnesota_Nice

Post by Minnesota_Nice » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 pm

JimMc wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm
Your lists sounds good. While its in the shop get the horn fixed. Have a safe and fun trip.
Thank you Mr. JimMc.

Minnesota_Nice

Post by Minnesota_Nice » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Thank you, Mr. Africa!

JimMc

Post by JimMc » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Mr. Africa,
I'm also a relatively new owner of a Freestyle. Did not now that about the cruise control or gas tank. Thanks for the info.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:15 pm

While there is a saddle tank on the Freestyle as long as the fuel transfer system is working there is no problem going below 1/2 tank.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Minnesota_Nice wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:24 pm
Thank you, Mr. Africa!
Ah, i finally found the Clockspring repair "how to" after searching high and low for it. The Voodooman yonder in Texas to blame for this.
Attachments
Clockspring.pdf
(290.24 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:28 pm

JimMc wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:03 pm
Mr. Africa,
I'm also a relatively new owner of a Freestyle. Did not now that about the cruise control or gas tank. Thanks for the info.
Welcome!

these didn't affect all the cars though. A statistically small number of members (including me) did experience these and reported them. These weren't major issues with the car.