Ford Freestyle Code P0942

pmassey31545

Ford Freestyle Code P0942

Post by pmassey31545 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Well...the Freebie has been perfect since our most recent big repair-the ECM replacement. Until tonight.

We're driving home from church and stop for gas (which is a whole other discussion). I left the car running and filled up. So I get back in and turn the car off to reset the gas gauge. When I restart the wrench light and the check engine light come on. And as I have experienced before, the car will not shift. Last time it was a loose ground wire. I tightened it up and it was fine. This time, I didn't have tools but I tried to wiggle everything and all was tight.

So I shut the car off and tried again to start it up. Same result. After 2 more attempts at a shutdown and restart, all seemed fine. The check engine light remained on until I got home and scanned it-then reset. Any clue as to why? I've looked up P0942 and I have seen low trans fluid or bad Mechatronic unit. It may be either, and I can check the trans fluid, But I just changed it a few months ago just before the ECM unit was replaced.

It seems all good now, but I can't take the risk of it just randomly crapping out on me like that. It's what we use for family trips. I had just started to regain my trust in the car but now I'm leaning toward selling or trading.

Thoughts about why this code appeared? Thanks in advance.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry

pmassey31545

Re: Code P0942

Post by pmassey31545 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:33 pm

As an update and reply to my own post...

I check the trans fluid. It did seem a little low so I added 3/4 of a quart I had leftover from my recent filters-both of them- and fluid change. I also just noticed (kicking myself for this) that the mechanic never tightened up the hose for the air breather assembly to the throttle body on either end. I don't think that was the issue. I could see it causing the wrench light because it may send a code for incorrect air/fuel mixture or air flow and such, but it shouldn't generate the P0942 code.

I also got another code-B1601- but I believe it's tied to the PATS. We had a key made at Walmart and I'm pretty sure that's the issue there. But it hadn't manifested itself until this event.

Anyway...it started and ran fine after I added fluid. So maybe that's all,it was.
2007 Limited AWD

pmassey31545

Post by pmassey31545 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 pm

So. To keep my own thread going here...

It happened again today. We drove to town and ate supper. Maybe 35 minutes the car was off. Came back out and wrench light and check engine light and the car would not go through the 'gears'. Pulled over. Turned it off and on about 4 times. Finally It fixed itself. Happened again about 15 minutes later.

The drive back home was fine. Stopped at the local Walmart and shut it off for 15 minutes or so and no issues. I drove it home and it seemed fine. Light hasn't come back on yet. OPEN FOR SUGGESTOINS.
2007 Limited AWD

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:51 pm

From FORD:
..........................................................................................................
"P0942 Hydraulic pressure unit

Stuck limp home mode value

Fault detected in hydraulic valve body.

• Harsh or erratic shift engagements.
• No torque converter clutch apply.
• No REVERSE.
• No DRIVE.
• Will turn on MIL and driver warning lamp.

NOTE: The TCM is integrated into the mechatronic assembly. If installing a new
transaxle or a mechatronic assembly, the TCM will need to be CHECKED and RECALIBRATED (reflashed) to the latest level calibration available.

INSPECT the transmission fluid for debris. If the transmission fluid is clean, INSTALL a new mechatronic assembly.

REFER to Mechatronic Assembly in this section.

If debris is found in the transmission fluid, disassembly of the transaxle is required for diagnosis of internal transaxle failure. REFER to Transaxle and Diagnosis By Symptom in this section"
.........................................................................................................................

you also need to take a look at this thread:

https://www.justanswer.com/transmission ... aulic.html

1...however, what was the weather/temperature like when this happened today?

2...did you also change the Pan Filter when you did the fluid change a few months ago?

3...were there fairly significant metal debris in the fluid?

While most experts suggest to change the Mechatronics whenever these type of pressure codes show up, i have also found out later that these cases the source of the problem with those Mechatronics is the clogging up of some or all of the 5 Solenoids on the Mechatronics.

These 5 Solenoids have mesh filters inside them which gets fairly clogged overtime with metal debris from the operations of the trans. These filters are both "clean-able" and/or replaceable.

I read somewhere that Ford or some aftermarket companies do sell the filters.

When we changed our CVT back then, the Mech and I actually took them off and did see significant clogging in them. The problem is that opening up the Mechatronics itself can be a bit tricky because of the TCM's fragile looking " brown film" part. It requires a lot of care not to get it scratched up while removing and putting back the tcm from/on Mechatronics.

There was another owner who had pressure issues in his CVT that i did give the Solenoids from the Mechatronics unit on my dead CVT, because i had already replaced the whole CVT in our car......I gave him after cleaning them and keeping them as spares. It did solve the pressure issue he had.

member Mike Poland did post a step by step pictures on here on how to take the Solenoids off and clean them, he did same thing with his Mechatronics, learnt a lot from him. Unfortunately he's no longer active here and the pictures are no longer showing.

Removing and Replacing the Mechatronics itself is an "in-car" job with absolutely no need to drop the Trans. In addition to dropping the CVT Pan, Pan filter and loosening the bolts holding the Mechatronics to the trans, a few other things need to be moved aside under the under the hood to get its electronic socket off of the trans (first steps, really), such a the Airbox, Air intake and maybe the Battery and its housing.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Jim likes catwalks

Post by Jim likes catwalks » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:58 pm

hi Jim here in BC Canada wondering about solenoid filters I tried a couple of times to get them off and wasn<t able to figure out how. I did the input shaft bearing and the car worked perfect for about 80 kms and since then always has wrench light and limp mode . I am suspecting TCM but the symptoms seem to possibly indicate the solenoid filters. I bought a used tranny for some parts I wrecked on dissassembly so have many solenoid filters to clean if I can get them apart. Any insight on this would be appreciated muchly.

bliss_junkie

Post by bliss_junkie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:46 am

Jim likes catwalks wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:58 pm
hi Jim here in BC Canada wondering about solenoid filters I tried a couple of times to get them off and wasn<t able to figure out how. I did the input shaft bearing and the car worked perfect for about 80 kms and since then always has wrench light and limp mode . I am suspecting TCM but the symptoms seem to possibly indicate the solenoid filters. I bought a used tranny for some parts I wrecked on dissassembly so have many solenoid filters to clean if I can get them apart. Any insight on this would be appreciated muchly.
I've been curious of this also. They look like they are just press fit in with the O-rings acting as keepers (similar to the top of the trans dipstick) with the black armature acting as a keeper for them. Does that seem accurate? Does anyone else have any insight? I also don't know how the black part shown is attached. These are pictures posted by other members.
mech1.jpg
mech1.jpg (61.99 KiB) Viewed 91 times
003.JPG
003.JPG (107.38 KiB) Viewed 91 times

bliss_junkie

Post by bliss_junkie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:05 pm

Other helpful Pics:

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Ford Freestyle Code P0942

Post by Webmaster » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 pm

To attach pics, click "Post Reply" below the "Quick Reply" box below, and then just drag and drop the pics into the text box.

bliss_junkie

Re: Ford Freestyle Code P0942

Post by bliss_junkie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:06 pm

CFT30 Solenoid Identification Continued pg23 of Document http www atra com Webinars  Ford  CFT30_Intro  pdf.PNG
CFT30 Solenoid Identification Continued pg23 of Document http www atra com Webinars Ford CFT30_Intro pdf.PNG (425.01 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Attachments
CFT30 Solenoid Identification TCM pg24 of Document http www atra com Webinars  Ford  CFT30_Intro  pdf.PNG
CFT30 Solenoid Identification TCM pg24 of Document http www atra com Webinars Ford CFT30_Intro pdf.PNG (438.83 KiB) Viewed 86 times
CFT30 Solenoid Identification pg22 of Document http www atra com Webinars  Ford  CFT30_Intro  pdf.PNG
CFT30 Solenoid Identification pg22 of Document http www atra com Webinars Ford CFT30_Intro pdf.PNG (441.05 KiB) Viewed 86 times