Code P0942

pmassey31545

Code P0942

Post by pmassey31545 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Well...the Freebie has been perfect since our most recent big repair-the ECM replacement. Until tonight.

We're driving home from church and stop for gas (which is a whole other discussion). I left the car running and filled up. So I get back in and turn the car off to reset the gas gauge. When I restart the wrench light and the check engine light come on. And as I have experienced before, the car will not shift. Last time it was a loose ground wire. I tightened it up and it was fine. This time, I didn't have tools but I tried to wiggle everything and all was tight.

So I shut the car off and tried again to start it up. Same result. After 2 more attempts at a shutdown and restart, all seemed fine. The check engine light remained on until I got home and scanned it-then reset. Any clue as to why? I've looked up P0942 and I have seen low trans fluid or bad Mechatronic unit. It may be either, and I can check the trans fluid, But I just changed it a few months ago just before the ECM unit was replaced.

It seems all good now, but I can't take the risk of it just randomly crapping out on me like that. It's what we use for family trips. I had just started to regain my trust in the car but now I'm leaning toward selling or trading.

Thoughts about why this code appeared? Thanks in advance.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry

pmassey31545

Re: Code P0942

Post by pmassey31545 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:33 pm

As an update and reply to my own post...

I check the trans fluid. It did seem a little low so I added 3/4 of a quart I had leftover from my recent filters-both of them- and fluid change. I also just noticed (kicking myself for this) that the mechanic never tightened up the hose for the air breather assembly to the throttle body on either end. I don't think that was the issue. I could see it causing the wrench light because it may send a code for incorrect air/fuel mixture or air flow and such, but it shouldn't generate the P0942 code.

I also got another code-B1601- but I believe it's tied to the PATS. We had a key made at Walmart and I'm pretty sure that's the issue there. But it hadn't manifested itself until this event.

Anyway...it started and ran fine after I added fluid. So maybe that's all,it was.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry