Unlock security on 2006 ford freestyle

Jessica payne

Unlock security on 2006 ford freestyle

Post by Jessica payne » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:57 pm

Car won’t start. I believe it’s the anti theft system. Small light in left corner shows a lock.

mmsstar

Re: Unlock security on 2006 ford freestyle

Post by mmsstar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Welcome. Do you have 2 keys?
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Jessica payne

Post by Jessica payne » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:15 pm

I only have one key

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:15 am

You probably need a mechanic to sort that out.

Nostyle89

Post by Nostyle89 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Not to steal from the OP but I'm having the same issue...well, sort of. I bought my Freestyle from an auction (yes, I know. Auctions suck for vehicle buying and Freestyles suck period. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I'm curious about something. The auction company/dealership I got the vehicle off of gave me the wrong key and only one key. The question I have is...if say I pull the PCM and keys with lock cylinder from a wrecked Freestyle with the same key and whatnot...would it be necessary to program the keys since they're already locked to that particular PCM, or would I be over my head anyways because the PCM is locked to the previous vehicles VIN? I'm looking for a way around having to pay a dealership 300 dollars to cut a new set of keys, replace the lock cylinder and program the new key, or 150 from a local lock smith. I can get all of this for approximately 30 bucks after gas and whatnot to get it but I don't want to waste my time to get it if it won't work. The symptom is similar to what the OP had, key will not move, the steering wheel is locked and the anti-theft light blinks about once every 5-10 seconds. I've WD-40'ed the ignition cylinder, no go. Greased it, same result and even beat the living turkey out of it (rocking the steering wheel while twisting the key, tapping on the key with a sledge hammer to supposedly jar the cylinder teeth loose).

Jessica payne

Post by Jessica payne » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:12 am

Hey, I’m the OP, sounds like a good idea to me.... thanks for the idea... been searching high and low for a way around this stupid PATS system. I had my car 30 days and everything went hay wire!!!! No kidding. Transmission slipping-wrench light came on. A/c quit working then this.. it’s locked up and can’t move... I’m disgusted with it after spending 3300$....ur right freestyles do suck and I’m super pissed at ford motor company for installing this system to scam people to make them have no options but to come to them for service....thanks ford for scamming America... they should be ashamed of themselves. If I find any other solutions I’ll let I know.... and beware some of these websites and other persons who get on this site!!! Some of them are paid by ford to mislead you with their answers... to get you to jump down the rabbit hole , spend a bunch of money on crap that won’t work until you are desperate enough to take it to the dealership... no kidding.. good luck and let me know how it goes!!

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:11 am

...It's Fords fault you are having a problem with an 11 or 12 year old car?

Nostyle89

Post by Nostyle89 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 am

Jessica payne wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:12 am
Hey, I’m the OP, sounds like a good idea to me.... thanks for the idea... been searching high and low for a way around this stupid PATS system. I had my car 30 days and everything went hay wire!!!! No kidding. Transmission slipping-wrench light came on. A/c quit working then this.. it’s locked up and can’t move... I’m disgusted with it after spending 3300$....ur right freestyles do suck and I’m super pissed at ford motor company for installing this system to scam people to make them have no options but to come to them for service....thanks ford for scamming America... they should be ashamed of themselves. If I find any other solutions I’ll let I know.... and beware some of these websites and other persons who get on this site!!! Some of them are paid by ford to mislead you with their answers... to get you to jump down the rabbit hole , spend a bunch of money on crap that won’t work until you are desperate enough to take it to the dealership... no kidding.. good luck and let me know how it goes!!
I'm not too surprised with mechanical issues. Any time I buy a vehicle that's more than 2-3 years old. I expect it to have some flaw. Every vehicle I've ever owned other than a 2001 Ford Ranger had broken on me to the point of disrepair because of the previous owner. With these, if I can get 6 months worth of use out of it, I would say it's a battle won. There's a reason they only made these for about 2 model years and had next to no changes between their depute and their demise...weak transmission, weak demand and relatively little reason for customers to buy it over say a comparable Escape, or Explorer. I absolutely hate anti-theft systems, but I can see their reasoning...it's a lot easier to steal say a 1993 Ford F-series than a 2000+.

But outside of that, I'm just curious if our PCM's are VIN locked to the vehicle. Because if they are, I'll go ahead and just yank the lock cylinder and keys from the wrecked vehicle and drill/tap out the lock cylinder out of the Freestyle I have so that a lock smith can install and program the new keys which is...as a whole, a lot cheaper than getting one either through a dealer or the lock smith.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:25 am

Jessica payne wrote:
.... and beware some of these websites and other persons who get on this site!!! Some of them are paid by ford to mislead you with their answers... to get you to jump down the rabbit hole , spend a bunch of money on crap that won’t work until you are desperate enough to take it to the dealership... no kidding.. good luck and let me know how it goes!!
Conspiracy theory seems to be alive and well here :lol:

Nostyle89

Post by Nostyle89 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 pm

mmsstar wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:25 am
Jessica payne wrote:
.... and beware some of these websites and other persons who get on this site!!! Some of them are paid by ford to mislead you with their answers... to get you to jump down the rabbit hole , spend a bunch of money on crap that won’t work until you are desperate enough to take it to the dealership... no kidding.. good luck and let me know how it goes!!
Conspiracy theory seems to be alive and well here :lol:
-To mm, definitely one of the more outlandish claims I've ever heard from a forum. I ended up being able to contact the auction house that I got this thing through and they're going to cut me a check to get the key programmed. Thankfully for me, it's actually not going to be that hard. Here's a tip for future people dealing with newer vehicles and lost keys. So as long as the lock cylinder hasn't been replaced before, a good competent lock smith can actually get the combination/cut from removing your lock cylinder and just program random H92 transponder keys that you can get off of ebay, amazon...etc.. Granted, either way you go you're looking at about 60-150 dollars depending on your lock smith and what they actually have to do to get the lock cylinder out. Might as well pay the piper and make dang sure to not lose your keys or make sure the spares and ones your given actually work.

pmassey31545

Post by pmassey31545 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:26 pm

Check your battery connections and ground wires!

Freestyles don't suck. Previous owners and their maintenance suck.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 pm

pmassey31545 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:26 pm

Freestyles don't suck. Previous owners and their maintenance suck.
This!!!!