Went into "limp" mode after setting cruise control

sshults

Went into "limp" mode after setting cruise control

Post by sshults » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 am

So my in-laws are driving my Ford and put it in cruise control (which I haven't done in quite a while). They said there was a physical clunk and immediate deceleration. The wrench symbol came on and they pulled over.

Starting back up, the car refuses to go above 30 mph and would show high rpms if pushed. Roughly 20 minutes later, it ran like normal. I did notice last Saturday that I thought it sounded rough when it was idling after startup.

Took it to a shop and they think the spark plugs are the cause. The car has about 120k miles and plugs are supposed to be changed at 100k. They think the plugs misfired and put the car into safe mode. We took the car home since they wanted to charge 500 to replace the plugs and air filter.

My fiancee's father checked the engine and noticed the plugs looked like they hadn't been touched when I was sure they said they'd pulled one to look at it.

Anyway, they found four codes:
PO316
B1352
PO701
PO715

Called the local Ford dealer and they estimated 250 to 300 to replace the plugs + air filter but said based on my description that it didn't sound like a spark plug issue.

Any help is appreciated because I am definitely not a car guy.

Lord_Snax

Re: Went into "limp" mode after setting cruise control

Post by Lord_Snax » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:24 pm

Well the only code that stands out to me is the "PO715" code. There might have been a short in the input speed sensor on the transmission, causing it to enter limp mode.

I have had my Freestyle make an audible clunk noise before, but never had it go into limp mode because of it.

I have also had a shuttering issue with my Freestyle recently and that was fixed with a trans fluid change. I don't know if that applies to you, but just thought I'd share.

jeff22374

Post by jeff22374 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:23 am

My '05 Freestyle went into limp mode at the food store when I put the car into reverse. Went straight to the dealership and found it was the Throttle Position Sensor in the Throttle Body. Warranty covered the repair. Don't know what the codes were, but sounds like the same thing, clunk, limp mode etc.

xvert

Post by xvert » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:04 am

Lord_Snax wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:24 pm
Well the only code that stands out to me is the "PO715" code.
+1
The Turbine Shaft Speed sensor is monitored for circuit rationality (P0716, speed too high (>7,500 rpm) or erratic) and insufficient output/no signal (P0715).
The TSS is located inside the TCM. You can try to replace the TCM yourself with the used one (exactly from the same car or ask to re-program).