Looking for education on Awd... please teach me....

DanfromSterling

Looking for education on Awd... please teach me....

Post by DanfromSterling » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:20 am

We have had ford freestyles for about 8 years. But only Fwd.... We moved last year and had some struggles in winter on the hilly roads getting up them. So started looking at what we could find for awd. Found 2007 limited awd with 93,000 miles that was into the ford dealer every 5000 miles was a trade in. Purchased at that dealership and serviced.... So we took out for test drive and noise seemed to be coming from the rear of the car. Drive shaft? I climbed in back while guy from dealer drove. Wasn't coming from one side of the wheel well, seemed to be down in drive shaft area. Dealership said noise was not there yesterday when they took it for test drive? Said they would get it into service on Monday and let me know what is going on with in. Can anyone give me run down on freestyle Awd. Never have owned Awd vehicle.

Mike51Merc

Re: Looking for education on Awd... please teach me....

Post by Mike51Merc » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:03 am

I haven't heard or read anything particularly vulnerable in a Freestyle rear to make funny noises, but, as with any rear differential, I'd suspect axle bearings first.

Known problems with Freestyle rear have to do with the Haldex system, but they don't make noise. Pumps wear out and temp/pressure sensors go bad, causing the traction light on the dash to stay lit and preventing activation of rear drive.

DanfromSterling

Re: Looking for education on Awd... please teach me....

Post by DanfromSterling » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:30 pm

Ended up being right rear wheel bearing..... Dealership fixed and we bought car....