Cold Misfire that Warms Out pretty quick

BillRod

Cold Misfire that Warms Out pretty quick

Post by BillRod » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Hi All

2006 Freestyle.
Just bought a couple months ago and I have a laundry list of issues but for this post I'll go with the Cold Misfire.

Misfires on start up and for a few minutes after.
But as it warms up the misfire goes away and it runs smooth again, usually within 2-3 minutes.
Check Engine light is on.
Started a few weeks ago when my son borrowed it for a camping trip.
On his way home he took it to AutoZone and they hooked up their reader and said the code was "Misfire on cylinder 3" and the counter kid said it was probably just a bad spark plug.

I don't think I've had a consistent cold spark plug misfire before.
It's very consistent that it warms out within a few minutes so it seems like it might be something else.

I know plugs are cheap but since it's Cyl 3 under that's under the upper intake I'd rather ask to see if anyone else has had a similar issue before I split the intake off.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
We're an All Ford Family...
95 F150 4x4 Ex cab Big Six 5spd, 94 Ranger 4x4 Ex cab 4.0L 5spd, 2000 Explorer 4x4 4.0L OHV Auto, 93 Ranger 4x4 Ex cab 4.0L 5spd, 06 Freestyle AWD.

jas88

Re: Cold Misfire that Warms Out pretty quick

Post by jas88 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:44 am

It's more likely the COP than the spark plug.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

mlacomb

Post by mlacomb » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:06 pm

I'd do this:

Remove intake
mark coil #3 bad
replace all 3 rear coils (why not - unless they're stupid expensive)
replace spark plugs (6)
replace intake

I'm guessing the plugs haven't ever been done. I had a tick under 95000 miles on my 05 and the plugs were quite shot (out of gap spec, clearly worn electrodes)

terpsgeorgia

Post by terpsgeorgia » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:05 am

As these cars age, the valve covers gaskets often leak into the spark plug tubes. Once you get some oil in the tubes, the oil can get on the inside of the spring (coil) that fits over the plug, it can cause a misfire when cold. I have to pull #5 cylinder out about every 6 months and let the oil in the cylinder and clean the coil. #5 of course is extremely easy to get to, I imagine if it were #3, I may be less inclined to ignore it :)

Something to check ....

Mark3066

Post by Mark3066 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:36 pm

I have a similar issue but I get P0301 which is misfire cylinder #1 when care sits for some time. Runs great after a few minutes. Also if car is still warm it starts idles and runs great from the first revolution.

Are you losing coolant?
Is there pressure in the coolant system even after the car sits overnight or a few days?

Both those questions above are true on my car. I then did the hydrocarbon test on the coolant and the detection fluid turned from blue to green indicating the presence of combustions gases in the coolant.

Just didn't make sense that a bad coil or spark plug would fix itself after a few minutes. My theory is that coolant slowly leaks into the cylinder 1(in my case) then the next time it is started, it misfires until eventually the cylinder pumps the coolant out. I have 170K on my 2005 freestyle. Would also love to hear that it may be something else (on my freestyle at least), but I am not hopeful.

BillRod

Post by BillRod » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:54 pm

Not loosing any noticeable coolant however I've only had the car for a couple months.

I agree it probably is the coolant though.
Twice I have loosened the coolant reservoir cap when the engine is still warm and relieved the pressure and both times it did not misfire the next morning.
So it is likely weeping a very small amount of coolant into the cylinder under pressure as it sits.
Just enough to misfire until it gets blown out the next start but nor enough yet to foul the plug long term.
We're an All Ford Family...
95 F150 4x4 Ex cab Big Six 5spd, 94 Ranger 4x4 Ex cab 4.0L 5spd, 2000 Explorer 4x4 4.0L OHV Auto, 93 Ranger 4x4 Ex cab 4.0L 5spd, 06 Freestyle AWD.

Mark3066

Post by Mark3066 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:54 pm

How long has this been going on. I'm trying to judge how long the gasket will last before it becomes a major head gasket leak. If I could get another 30k I'd be really happy.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:02 am

No telling. I have a friend with a 2006 Escape that does this and he's let it go for about a year or so.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth