Wrong transmission fluid

Okiedriver

Wrong transmission fluid

Post by Okiedriver » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:00 am

Ok so advance auto parts gave me the wrong transmission fluid it was motorcraft reg fluid not cvt, I didn't catch it until it was to late . I replaced the high filter and drain plus along with the fluids . I drained the wrong fluid out over night what kind of issues are we looking at ??

Car was throwing p0701 > p0868 ( low pressure )

Car is in limp mode before and after the processes

mikeincanada

Re: Wrong transmission fluid

Post by mikeincanada » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:04 am

You may well have trashed your CVT ...... they are very sensitive to the wrong fluid getting into the system. You are going to need some luck .....
If you are going to attempt to replace the fluid thoroughly I would save some money by using Valvoline CVT fluid as a flushing agent. It is much cheaper than the Ford version but claims to meet the spec.
Flushing a couple of times with the valvoline cvt fluid will perhaps save you box .......
How many miles did you travel with the wrong fluid?

Good luck !!!

Okiedriver

Post by Okiedriver » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:05 am

Didn't even drive it , changed fluid started it got new error , noticed fluid bottle on the ground .

Going to call ford Monday am then calling advanced auto gm to get them to pay for there mistake.

terpsgeorgia

Post by terpsgeorgia » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:39 am

How much fluid did you drain? Normally just the drainplug gets you about 4 qts and if you open it up and pull the filter out and let that drain, you get about 6'ish. That is a fraction of the total fluid in the TC and main transmission housing. As soon as you start the car, the transmission starts pumping fluid at extremely high pressure (220+ psi just idling). I have been told that at these pressure, traditional trans fluid can boil (I am not a chemist, I am not sure that is true).

Good luck with Ford and Advance Auto. Would be curious to hear if you were successful with either. The 2 Ford dealers "close" to me refused to touch the CVT. One, about an hour away, quoted $750 for a full flush but the service manager was adamant they would not be responsible if it did not work afterwards, regardless of its status when it arrived. So I imagine taking them one that already is unhappy, well, not sure how that discussion would go.