Need values for transmission temperature sensor

Gator417

Need values for transmission temperature sensor

Post by Gator417 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:57 pm

So my research has lead me to believe my Freestyle has a bad Temp Sensor in the tranny. Mostly from the link below, but a couple others as well. Apparently, the least expensive solution for a refurbished/rebuilt part is about $1000. Way too much for me right now, mainly because I bought the whole thing for $1700.
My solution is to install an alternate temp sensor somewhere in the tranny and wire it in to the harness using the existing wire for the defective unit. I do have a couple of questions about this process. First, is there any glaring reason why this won't work? Second, where do I find the right wire to splice into and the right voltage range for the sensor?
Thank you in advance,
Gator

viewtopic.php?t=8088
'06 AWD SE

xvert

Re: Need values for transmission temperature sensor

Post by xvert » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:37 am

IMHO. You can replace only TCM entirely (used for 150-300 $). The temperature sensor is located in the TCM.
Removed from working Unit CURRENTLY PROGRAMED FOR 4WD CAN BE FLASHED TO 2WD
However, the transmission may overheat due to a dirty radiator

dmckmc

Post by dmckmc » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:32 pm

I sort of like where you are trying to go. However I don't believe it will work. The transaxle vehicle harness connector does not have individual transmission temperature sensor wires. The only pins it has are: can low, can high, diagnostic interface, switched positive key on, starter interlock, two grounds and battery voltage. All sensor readings are transmitted to the PCM via the can bus system. I'm afraid replacement of the TCM which is attached to the mechatronics assembly and contains the temperature sensor would need to be replaced. eBay does have many mechatronics with TCM for sale around $300. The temperature sensor does have a PID that can be commanded and tested. Personally I would prefer to be sure of the problem before I replaced the mechatronics/TCM. I understand Diagnostics cost more money. The other consideration is once the mechatronic or TCM is replaced the TCM must be reflashed = more money and fluid replaced = even more money.

Gator417

Post by Gator417 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks for the ressponse.
The radiators all look clean and both fans are turning on and seem to be working properly. Engine temp is great with ac on in 90º heat. That was my first guess.
I thought it might not be possible for just that reason. I already have both filters for it and plan to replace them soon. Can I replace the TCM without removing the tranny? Also, what does the reflashing do and who can do it?
Thanks again,
Gator
'06 AWD SE

xvert

Post by xvert » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:34 am

Gator417 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:08 pm
The radiators all look clean and both fans are turning on and seem to be working properly. Engine temp is great with ac on in 90º heat.
I meant the oil coooler of cvt. Service people advise cleaning it inside. Although I do not know how it can get clogged.
Can I replace the TCM without removing the tranny?
Yes. Search for file "CVT Disassemble" in this forum.
what does the reflashing do and who can do it?
You can buy the necessary TCM (4wd or 2wd)
PS: It would be better to change the cvt oil after you determine the cause of the malfunction.

Gator417

Post by Gator417 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 am

I see. I'll check to make sure fluid is flowing through the cooler. Can't imagine it being clogged either, but its possible.
I downloaded the PDF on CVT disassembly already, so I'll start studying up on that.
As for the flashing; if I buy an awd tcu it won't need to be flashed, but I can use a fwd tcm if it is flashed, correct?
Thank you for helping me get this sorted out.
Gator
'06 AWD SE