Front Strut Install problem

mycarhatesme

Front Strut Install problem

Post by mycarhatesme » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:45 am

I bought some struts from Drive Tech America for my 08 Taurus X AWD. Upon installation I noticed the knuckle is wobbling and not getting tight on the strut tube. I checked the diameter of the old versus the new with the old being 2.071 and the new being 2.053. I removed the new strut from the knuckle and slid the old one back in and there was little to no play without the retaining bolt being tightened. I then installed the new strut again same as the old and noticed considerable wiggle between the tube and knuckle. Anyone else experience this?

timothy

Re: Front Strut Install problem

Post by timothy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:39 pm

ford slightly changed the suspension on the trex from the freestyle it wasn't much but perhaps it was enough to change the ID of that hole?

maybe those struts are for the freestyle?

mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:00 pm

I checked and made sure to order the struts for the Trex with AWD. I also called the company to verify I had received the right struts which I had. I think their strut tube is just a bit too small to allow the knuckle to tighten down onto it. I went ahead and ordered new struts from Ford ($94 each... not bad) and will install tomorrow along with a followup on how it goes.
Thanks for the reply!

mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:38 am

Update: Bought the struts from a Ford dealer and they fit like a glove. Must have been a slight manufacturing issue with the aftermarket set.

pwschuh

Post by pwschuh » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:52 am

Thanks for the follow-up.
2008 TX Limited
Silver Birch Metallic/Black leather
WeatherTech floormats all rows
Bought used on 17 Nov 10 with 20,000 miles