CVT Temperature Sensor Replacement

Freestyle99

CVT Temperature Sensor Replacement

Post by Freestyle99 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi, long time Freestyle owner, 2006 bought in 2010, 30k original miles, now 140k miles, only minor problems.

Recently the wife took it on a LONG road trip from WA to MN and back. On the way there, she experienced numerous check engine and wrench lights, along with one Limp Mode event where the car took away most of the power and forced her to pull over to the side of the road. During that one event, lights went away after re-starting engine and she continued on her way. Went to a Ford dealer and they diagnosed an over-temperature event on the transmission and indicated that this was the likely culprit although they did't know why it over-temped and she didn't have the time to have it checked out.

Numerous lights along the way, usually exacerbated by cruise control and A/C use (had to stay away from A/C in 90F heat...). There was at least one event of pulling over to the side of the road, leaving the engine on in Park, and the engine revving to ~5k RPM on its own uncommanded.

Got it back home to our mechanic and he diagnosed the following (I do not have the actual codes):

1. Tranny over-temp and Limp Mode codes (likely related)
2. Let the car sit overnight then sampled engine and tranny temp sensor output w/ a cold engine. Engine coolant temperature read 58F (which it should have been) while tranny read 114F - obviously a bad tranny temp sensor. Assuming another 70F on top of that to warm up, you're looking at fairly high temps being reported by that sensor to whatever ECU is in charge.
3. Best he can tell from literature, recommended fix is to replace p/n 5F9Z7A100YRM which is a very fancy and very expensive tranny control module. Including labor and re-programming of a REFURBISHED unit on Ebay, we're looking at north of $1000 on a car that's worth roughly <$6k - not appealing.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way to replace that particular sensor that probably costs $10? Or is this one of those design FEATURES...

Thanks!

mmsstar

Re: CVT Temperature Sensor Replacement

Post by mmsstar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:44 pm

That is the valve body. I might try a recycler first, there are lots of Freestyles and 500s sitting in their yards.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Freestyle99

Post by Freestyle99 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Yes, it's integrated with that very complicated and EXPENSIVE part which also requires about $500 in labor to R&R. I was just curious if anyone knew a cheaper work-around to replace just the sensor.

Lebert56

Post by Lebert56 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Find a solution? My wife's '05 has started doing this with our ridiculously hot weather.

Freestyle99

Post by Freestyle99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:55 pm

No, unfortunately I have not found a cheaper solution. As much as we love our Freestyle we have decided to replace it before it becomes too expensive to maintain. I'm currently using it as a commuter to work (2 miles each way) so temperature is not an issue. It's an annoying problem for anyone living in warm weather - usually a sensor can be ignored but not one that is tied into a computer is given authority to yank your power away based on faulty sensor readings.

Sad that Ford no longer makes a comparable car either - we like the crossover design as my wife finds most SUVs too big and unwieldy while smaller ones don't have enough space. The Freestyle was the right mix. Currently looking at a Kia Sorrento as a replacement - smaller but nimble and lots of features. And made in the USA! :)

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Did you consider the Flex? https://www.fordflex.net

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:45 pm

The Flex is essentially a Taurus X in a brick shape. Same drivetrain as the T-Rex, 3.5 with the 6 speed or you can get the Ecoboost Twin Turbo same engine as the Taurus SHO. It's worth a look!
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Gator417

Post by Gator417 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Having the exact symptoms mentioned by Freestyle99. Had to rent a car midway through my vacation & just limped back into town about 90 minutes ago. Bummer, but we did get to sport around the Smokies in a 2016 Ecoboost Explorer. Definitely took the edge off of the feeling of impending doom for my Freestyle.
I really hope there is a less expensive/extensive solution since I only paid $1700 for mine. If not, what exactly am I looking for from a dismantler? Is it the entire valve body? Also, can I rebuild this sensor or replace just the sensor? And finally, can I get to this piece whilst performing a filter change?
Thank you in advance,
Gator
'06 AWD SE

Gator417

Post by Gator417 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:05 am

In leiu of all that business, could the sensor be bypassed?
Install a temp sensor that operates in the same voltage range somewhere in the tranny and connect it to the ecu using the same wire the current sensor uses. That could probably done for less than $100 and in just a couple hours.
Or, less desireable, just wire the circuit shut with the proper voltage signal being constantly sent to the ecu & install a temp gauge in the dash for good measure. Equally cheap & easy as option A.
Does this sound like a viable option? Its not something I would normally want to do, but it might be the only way to save my car.
Fwiw, I don't feel very comfy buying a valve body from a dismantler when the same part could easy go bad the next time I try to drive my car out of town.
Has anybody tried to cross-reference that part to see if it was used somewhere else or if there is a good substitute part available new?
Gator
'06 AWD SE

jas88

Post by jas88 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:56 am

If y'all are in or near Texas, I have a CVT from a 2007 FS in my shop that I am selling for $150, you could use it for parts. It was working when pulled, but the car had 185K miles on it, so selling it as a parts unit.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Okiedriver

Post by Okiedriver » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:20 am

Jas you still have cvt ? Will it work on a 06