CVT Temperature Sensor Replacement

Freestyle99

CVT Temperature Sensor Replacement

Post by Freestyle99 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi, long time Freestyle owner, 2006 bought in 2010, 30k original miles, now 140k miles, only minor problems.

Recently the wife took it on a LONG road trip from WA to MN and back. On the way there, she experienced numerous check engine and wrench lights, along with one Limp Mode event where the car took away most of the power and forced her to pull over to the side of the road. During that one event, lights went away after re-starting engine and she continued on her way. Went to a Ford dealer and they diagnosed an over-temperature event on the transmission and indicated that this was the likely culprit although they did't know why it over-temped and she didn't have the time to have it checked out.

Numerous lights along the way, usually exacerbated by cruise control and A/C use (had to stay away from A/C in 90F heat...). There was at least one event of pulling over to the side of the road, leaving the engine on in Park, and the engine revving to ~5k RPM on its own uncommanded.

Got it back home to our mechanic and he diagnosed the following (I do not have the actual codes):

1. Tranny over-temp and Limp Mode codes (likely related)
2. Let the car sit overnight then sampled engine and tranny temp sensor output w/ a cold engine. Engine coolant temperature read 58F (which it should have been) while tranny read 114F - obviously a bad tranny temp sensor. Assuming another 70F on top of that to warm up, you're looking at fairly high temps being reported by that sensor to whatever ECU is in charge.
3. Best he can tell from literature, recommended fix is to replace p/n 5F9Z7A100YRM which is a very fancy and very expensive tranny control module. Including labor and re-programming of a REFURBISHED unit on Ebay, we're looking at north of $1000 on a car that's worth roughly <$6k - not appealing.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way to replace that particular sensor that probably costs $10? Or is this one of those design FEATURES...

Thanks!

mmsstar

Re: CVT Temperature Sensor Replacement

Post by mmsstar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:44 pm

That is the valve body. I might try a recycler first, there are lots of Freestyles and 500s sitting in their yards.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Freestyle99

Post by Freestyle99 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Yes, it's integrated with that very complicated and EXPENSIVE part which also requires about $500 in labor to R&R. I was just curious if anyone knew a cheaper work-around to replace just the sensor.

Lebert56

Post by Lebert56 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Find a solution? My wife's '05 has started doing this with our ridiculously hot weather.