Out of the Freestyle world

jpz

Out of the Freestyle world

Post by jpz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Hello all,

After 5 years, we traded in our 2005 Limited over the holiday. We picked up a 2017 Explorer. I will miss the Freestyle, but it was time to move on.

Our plans were to keep it, so I recently bought several maintenance items that I will now need to unload. I'll post in the for sale section. Not looking to make my money back on these parts; would rather see them go to someone here since this forum has been so useful during my time with the vehicle.

Thanks,

jpz

mmsstar

Re: Out of the Freestyle world

Post by mmsstar » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:19 pm

I deleted the items since you have them posted in the classifieds. It will be easier to keep track of what is gone if the list is only in one place.

Mike
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

JimSmith94

Post by JimSmith94 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:28 am

jpz wrote:Hello all, After 5 years, we traded in our 2005 Limited over the holiday. We picked up a 2017 Explorer...
Have you had enough time with the Explorer to provide a comparison. I love my 2007 Freestyle but I know that eventually I'll have to replace it. I test drove an Explorer back in the 90s I think, and was completely turned off because it rode like a truck.

pmassey31545

Post by pmassey31545 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:18 am

JimSmith94 wrote:
jpz wrote:Hello all, After 5 years, we traded in our 2005 Limited over the holiday. We picked up a 2017 Explorer...
Have you had enough time with the Explorer to provide a comparison. I love my 2007 Freestyle but I know that eventually I'll have to replace it. I test drove an Explorer back in the 90s I think, and was completely turned off because it rode like a truck.
I don't have an Explorer, but my in-laws do. Theirs is a 2012 and to answer your question...it rides and drives NOTHING like a truck. They are way smaller and more nimble than they used to be. I think the FS feels more like a car than a CUV and the Explorer feels like...well...and SUV. It rides and drives good to me.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan

jpz

Post by jpz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:20 pm

mmsstar wrote:I deleted the items since you have them posted in the classifieds. It will be easier to keep track of what is gone if the list is only in one place.

Mike
Sounds good. I didn't even think about that. Thanks.

jpz

Post by jpz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:24 pm

JimSmith94 wrote:
The Explorer drives very much like the Freestyle. It should, they are built on a very similar platform.

The Explorer sits a little taller than the Freestyle, but it is not something that stands out. It is very smooth, and cruises along nicely a higher speeds. The one main road near us is 55mph, and the other day I found myself doing 85mpg without even noticing. I slowed down, and asked my wife if she felt like we were driving fast. She didn't even notice, and hardly believed me when I told her we were doing 85.

I have driven the older Explorers, and they drove like a truck due to being built on a truck platform (Ranger).

It's hard to compare the 2; it's a bit unfair due to the 12 year difference in age. Our Freestyle was just hitting a point where keeping it on the road was becoming more and more costly. The Explorer is very nice, and offers several features that the Freestyle did not (Forward sensors, rear camera, blue tooth, 2nd row inflatable seat belts, power rear gate).